Wheat Halwa: Royal Sweet Dish of India
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 08, 2022 11:08 IST
A mouth-watering sweet dish which is usually served during festivals and weddings
Wheat Halwa or Godhi Hawla is a royal sweet dish which is made using wheat, ghee and sugar. The sweet dish is widely served in Udupi-Mangalore regions during weddings. The dish is quite a time taking but the taste is so good that every minute spent preparing this dish is worth it. Wheat Halwa has a glossy texture and melts in the mouth instantly.
To get the perfect taste, ensure to stir the batter for at least 1 to 1:30 hours. The key to making this dish perfect is to get the right consistency. Wheat Halwa is also served to guests during festivals such as Diwali.
Here’s how to prepare delicious Wheat Halwa at home.
Cooking Time: 2 days, 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup Whole Wheat
- 2.5 cups Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Orange Food Colour
- 1 cup Ghee
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 2 tsp Cardamom Seeds
- Take a huge bowl and add whole wheat to it. Now rinse it at least 5 to 8 times. Now, soak wheat for approximately 1 day in enough water. Next, remove all the water and add it to the grinder. Add a cup of water as well and blend it to form a fine batter
- In the next step, take a fine strainer and strain the batter. Now collect the thick extract of wheat and put the residue of wheat again in a grinder
- Put enough amount of water into the mixer and grind again to obtain a fine puree. Strain it again and finally get the extract in the same manner
- Keep this collected wheat extract as it is for a day. Once it ferments and all the water floats above remove all the water and put a cup of fresh water to it. Combine well and bring it to a medium consistency neither thick nor thin
- Take a heavy pan and put sugar and a cup of water in it. Heat the pan on a low flame and let the sugar dissolve in the water. Once done, add wheat batter which was prepared earlier
- Cook the ingredients in a medium flame with continuous stirring. Once it appears thick, add food colour and stir again for a while
- Include cashew nut, and cardamom seeds and stir again
- Now at regular gaps put ghee. Continue stirring to obtain the halwa consistency. It will take approximately 1 hour to 1.30 hours to get the desired consistency. Squeeze a small lemon as well. After a while, the mixture oozes ghee and it takes a shape
- Put it on a tray and keep it aside for approximately 1 hour and then cut them into pieces
- Yummy and delicious homemade Wheat Halwa is ready to serve
- It takes around 3 days to prepare Wheat Halwa as the method includes soaking and fermenting for a longer period
- Add ghee as per the requirement and taste. You can always add ghee as per the quality of wheat.
- To get the perfect texture, ensure to ferment the wheat extract.
- The batter needs to be stirred for approximately 1 to 1.30 hours so ensure to do it.