Watch: Here’s How You Can Make Mourola Macher Tok At Home
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 25, 2022 04:06 IST
A Bengali specialty for the summer season, this fish recipe is a delight for the taste buds.
While there are plenty of non-vegetarian dishes in the Bengali cuisine, it is fish that is a staple in Bengali diet. Fish curry, also known as macher jhol, and rice is a commonly-eaten meal in Bengali households. However, apart from main meals, fish is also served after the main course, like the Mourola Macher Tok. A sweet and sour dish from the Bengali cuisine, this fish dish is usually served at the end of a meal. Known as ambol in Bengali, referring to a sweet and sour food item, Mourola Macher Tok is often served before the dessert course.
Made with Mourola, a small freshwater fish, this tangy dish is a summer favourite in most Bengali households. While everyone has their own version of this fish recipe, it remains a staple during summer season. Some might cook the Mola Carplet fish with raw mangoes (kaccha aam) which is readily available during summers, while some others add tamarind pulp as the souring agent. Home chef @adcookhouse shares a delectable recipe of Mourola Macher Tok using the latter for giving it a tangy touch.
Here’s the detailed recipe for you to try at home.
Mouroula Macher Tok
• 200 gm mourola machh
• 30 g mustard oil
• ½ tsp panch phoron
• 2 pcs dried red chillies Half cup tamarind pulp
• 1 tsp total turmeric
• 10 gm total salt
• 40 gm sugar
• 400 gm water
1. Marinate the fish in turmeric and salt and fry them until crisp.
2. Now in the leftover oil, add dry red chilies and panch phoron spices.
3. Once they start to splutter, add the tamarind pulp and give it a nice stir.
4. Bring it to a boil, then add turmeric and salt to the mix.
5. Add water and bring this to a boil. Next, add sugar to it.
6. Let it boil for some time on medium flame.
7. Once you get the desired gravy consistency, add the fish and cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Take it off the flame and let it cool.
9. Pair this tangy fish dish with rice, dal or any curry and enjoy