Up For Some Mexican Treat? Try The Chorizo Breakfast Taquitos
- Team Slurrp
Updated : July 06, 2022 17:07 IST
Start your Sunday with healthy homemade taquitos
Taquitos for breakfast, anyone? And the first answer you get is, ‘Hey, look here!’ Here is a yummy and easy recipe for taquitos, which one can easily make at home. Just follow the steps and surprise your loved ones on a Sunday morning with yummy taquitos.
Taquitos are a Mexican dish that contains rolled-up tortillas with fillings. The fillings can be anything, ranging from beef, cheese, or chicken. They are now slowly gaining popularity in India, as well. Many fast-food chains are now selling this Mexican dish. But, why go out and eat Taquitos, when you can easily make them at home.
If we talk about the origin of the taquitos, it was first referred to in 1917 in the Preliminary Glossary of New Mexico Spanish. The modern taquitos origin goes back to 1929 and was referred to in a book of stories on Mexican people in the USA. The dish was a popular fast-food one can say, if we like to use an Indian term for it, and was sold by railroad station vendors, according to the book. Some restaurants in Southern California can be credited with popularising taquitos in the United States.
Here are the ingredients and recipe for some yummy taquitos.
• 1 large white onion
• 5 Roma tomatoes
• 2 tbsps white vinegar
• 2 tbsps dried whole oregano
• 8 ounces chorizo
• 5 cloves garlic
• 3 serrano peppers
• 5 large eggs
• 14 fresh corn tortillas
• Frying oil
• 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• Cotija cheese
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Grate half white onion and tomatoes into a medium bowl, using a cheese grater.
• Add vinegar, dried oregano, and salt as per taste. Put this mixture aside.
• Next in a flat-bottomed frying pan, fry chorizo, the remaining onion, garlic, and half of the serranos.
• Fry until the chorizo is fully cooked and the vegetables are softened.
• Now, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
• In the same frying pan, scramble the eggs. Now, remove from the pan and set aside.
• Clean the pan you are using.
• Once again heat the pan on medium to high flame. Heat 1 tortilla for 30 seconds on both sides.
• Remove it and fill with 1 tablespoon of chorizo mixture that we prepared and 1 tablespoon of eggs.
• Roll it and place it in a dish. Remember, it should not open/unroll. Follow this step for all the tortillas.
• Take a pan for deep frying and heat oil to about 350 degrees.
• Next fry tortillas in batches of 4 to 5. First fry seam-side down and hold with tongs, to ensure it does not unroll in the oil.
• Try to prevent the fillings from falling in the oil. Otherwise, the dish would be ruined.
• Cook for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.
• Serve it with dipping sauce and garnish using chopped cilantro, serrano peppers, and cotija cheese.