SoyaBean Chilli : An Easy Healthy Indo-Chinese Starter
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 22, 2022 17:08 IST
Who thought soybeans could be so tasty?
Little is known that soybeans or soya is probably the most important ingredient in Chinese cuisine. Though in the Indian cooking scenario, soybeans have always been associated with either stews or an ingredient in biryanis or rice dishes. However, the Chinese were the first to be able to convert it into a sauce. Thus, one of the most important ingredients in all the Chinese dishes that are ever made around the world is the Soya sauce.
It’s been said that Soyabeans originated in China in 2853 BC. It was among the 5 sacred plants named by an ancient Chinese king. Due to the silk route, Soya plants and beans started going to different countries like Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Burma, India. In the year 1904, a famous American chemist discovered it as an excellent source of protein and encouraged farmers to grow more soyabeans. That is how soyabeans became popular as an ingredient and the entire world started consuming it for being a rich source of protein.
Widely grown as an edible bean, soyabeans have been genetically modified. Apart from soyasauce, the usage of soy milk from which tofu is made is also a very popular ingredient.
Let’s have a look at a delicious Chinese starter made from soya beans that could be easily prepared in your kitchen.
- ½ cup soya beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli
- 2 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 spoon corn flour
- Refined Oil
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 chopped onion bulbs
- 1 capsicum
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp schezwan sauce
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4-5 spring onion stems
- Spring onion greens
- Add 1⁄2 cup soyabeans to a bowl. Add 3 cups of hot water to it. Soak it properly. Leave it for 2 hours. Squeeze water from the soya beans properly and take it out in a separate bowl.
- Add red chilli, salt and black pepper to it and coat the soyabeans properly. Add 2 tsp of green chilli sauce and 1 tsp vinegar. Mix well
- Add 3 tsp of corn flour and coat it properly. Heat oil in a wok. Now, fry the coated soyabeans chunks in hot oil till they are golden brown. Double fry for that extra crunch. Keep it aside.
- In the same wok, take 2 tsp oil and heat it. Add 1 tsp of chopped garlic and stir fry. Add chopped onions and capsicum and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add white pepper, Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 tablespoons of schezwan sauce and 1 tsp of ketchup. You can add red chilli sauce too to make it spicy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of soya sauce, Stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt as per taste.
- Add the spring onion stems and stir again
- Make a cornstarch slurry and add 2 spoons of cornstarch to 2 spoons of water. Add this slurry to the veggies and mix properly.
- Now, add the fried soyabeans and stir for 2 minutes. Garnish with spring onion greens.
And voila!! Enjoy !