Potato Salad With Chickpeas And Yoghurt: Creamy, Spicy, Healthy
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 02, 2022 23:09 IST
This salad brings together the complementary flavours of potatoes, chickpeas, and plain curd, which is seasoned with mild spices
Salads are the go-to dish for a light, tasty, healthy meal. The best part about salads is that they can be made in a variety of ways, not just the green leafy kinds. The scope for experimentation in salad preparations is endless. The versatile potato, for example, is used to make various kinds of salads. The most popular kind is potato salad made with yoghurt, which is seasoned with mild spices. Add chickpeas to the mix and you get an amalgamation of textures and flavours. The salad is creamy, rich, and wholesome.
The potatoes and chickpeas are first boiled, mixed, and seasoned with yoghurt, which is flavoured with a pinch of red chilli powder and white pepper powder. More spices can be added as per taste preference. For example, chaat masala complements the flavour of the salad, making it even tastier. The garnishing of chopped coriander leaves and bhujia, an Indian snack, further enhance the flavour of the salad by adding a slight crunch. The only time-consuming part of the salad preparation is soaking and boiling the chickpeas. The chickpeas have to be soaked overnight before being boiled.
Potato Salad With Chickpeas And Yoghurt is healthy too. It is filling and takes care of your carbohydrate needs for the day. Each ingredient has its health benefits. Potatoes are rich in dietary fibre and contain antioxidants. Chickpeas are also high in dietary fibre, and contain calcium and magnesium, among other nutrients. Yoghurt aids in digestion, is high in protein, and is said to boost the immune system. The salad, is thus, a bowlful of nutrition.
Here is a recipe for Potato Salad With Chickpea And Yoghurt.
- 3 Potatoes
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 1 cup Plain curd
- Red chilli powder
- White pepper powder
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- Soak one cup of chickpeas overnight
- The next day, drain the chickpeas and boil them in a bowl of water, with one teaspoon of salt, for about six to seven minutes. Take off from flame once the chickpeas turn soft, but not mushy
- Boil and peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes
- Mix the boiled potatoes and boiled chickpeas in a bowl
- In a bowl, whisk the plain curd, with a quarter teaspoon of water. Add a quarter teaspoon of red chilli powder, a quarter teaspoon of white pepper powder (you can use black pepper powder instead), and a pinch of salt and mix
- Pour the flavoured plain curd over the boiled potatoes and boiled chickpeas
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves, one teaspoon of chaat masala, and one tablespoon of bhujia over the potato salad
- Put it in the fridge for half an hour, and serve cold
The Potato Salad With Chickpea And Yoghurt can be savoured as an evening snack or as a quick meal. Sour cream can be used instead of yoghurt, but the latter is a healthier option.