Nendran Banana Chips: Tried This Crunchy Evening Snack, Yet?
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 08, 2022 11:08 IST
Banana chips go perfectly with your shaam ki chai
Tasty and crispy, yellow-coloured Nendran Banana Chips is one of the easy-to-make snacks at home. These coconut-flavoured banana chips are prepared with a specific variety of bananas, which is known as Nendra. It is raw, green, firm and best to use.
Nendran Banana Chips is a famous snack in South India, and are usually prepared as an evening snack. The snack is also commonly served with desserts in South regions. It is a vegan and gluten-free dish which can be stored in an air-tight container and can last for weeks easily. These chips can be prepared with other fruits and vegetables such as potato, bitter gourd, jackfruit, banana, bhindi, and sweet potato. For best flavour, you can use coconut oil for deep frying these chips
Here’s the recipe for Nendran Banana Chips.
You May Also Like
Looking for healthy snacking options? Make crunchy coconut chips right at home with this simple recipe
Viral: Latest Food Trend Of Pasta Chips Is The Snack Of Our Dreams; Tried Yet?
It’s Crunch O’Clock, Tried This Kurkure Macaroni Yet?
Mauz Ka Meetha: Ever Tried This Hyderabadi Banana Pudding?
Vegetable Chop: Tried This Bengali Street-Style Snack, Yet?
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 150 gm
- 4 pieces green raw Nendran banana
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- Coconut oil
- Get green and matured Nendran bananas then trim their edges.
- Next, slit the skin of these bananas.
- Now, peel the skin off from these Nendran bananas through this slit.
- To avoid discolouration, try to keep these bananas immersed in water for a while.
- Once done, pick the bananas one by one from the water and wipe them.
- Slice these Nendran bananas into thin chips using a sharp grater.
- Next, take a wok and put oil in it. Heat the oil in a medium flame and start putting these chips into the oil carefully
- Take a bowl and add turmeric powder, salt and some water to it.
- Combine them to form a thin paste. Now, start putting a teaspoon of this paste into the oil carefully.
- Once the chips are fried, take them out from the oil using a slotted ladle and remove the excess oil with a tissue paper.
- Now, repeat the above steps till all bananas are prepared.
- Finally, crispy and delicious Nendran Banana Chips are ready to serve.
Points to remember:
- Ensure that you are using green and matured Nendran bananas to make this dish as ripe bananas are not well suited for this snack.
- Ensure to put the peeled bananas dipped in water for some time to avoid discolouration.
- Don’t slice the banana without wiping them off. It’s very important to make these bananas moisture-free.
- Ensure that the oil temperature is perfect for frying. Put a single slice of banana to check the oil temperature. If the slice raises to the top instantly, then the oil is fine for deep frying these slices.
- Put salt as per your taste but if the chips are salty in the first batch then put half a teaspoon of salt paste in the next batch.
- Keep watching these chips while frying. Don’t overcook or under-cook them.