Kashmiri Lahsun: Himalayan Cousin Of The Regular Garlic
- Tanisha Salwan
Updated : August 17, 2022 06:08 IST
Kashmiri garlic is much healthier than the regular garlic you have every day!
Lahsun or garlic is an integral part of cooking not only in Indian cuisine but in many cuisines across the globe. It is a must-have ingredient added to the dishes for enhancing the taste as well as the aroma. Moreover, its health benefits are so many that you can’t even count. Though there are several types of garlic, this article is about Kashmiri lahsun or snow mountain garlic. This comes as a single clove of garlic and is sold for about Rs 1200 per kg. Woahh!! Let us know more about it.
Also Read: 4 Easy Ways To Peel Garlic Cloves
Also known as Kashmiri lahsun or ek pothi lahsun or Himalayan garlic, this is a specific variety considered one of the purest garlic varieties available. This is because this particular garlic variety grows in lack of industrial pollutants. Often found in the Himalayan region, this garlic is much smaller in size and much more beneficial than regular commercial garlic that we have every day. As per some facts, the Kashmiri lahsun is 7 times more potent than regular garlic. When we say beneficial, we mean that it has ample medicinal qualities and is a highly revered medicine in Ayurveda. It alone is considered a boon for people suffering from diabetes, asthma, or even lung cancer. Moreover, it is said to have antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties. Though it has a pungent smell because of the allicin compound, it is rich in phosphorus, manganese, sulphur, calcium, and many other components.
Let us take you through its magical health benefits:
- Kashmiri lahsun prevents the multiplication of cancer cells and thus is helpful in curing cancer. It is considered beneficial in curing colon, prostate, lung, pancreas, and stomach cancer. If one consumes 3 to 4 garlic cloves a day, it could do wonders for him.
- Kashmiri lahsun is a magical wand for people suffering from heart diseases. This garlic strengthens the cardiovascular system and enables smooth heart functioning. Moreover, it reduces cholesterol levels and prevents the formation of blood clots as it is also used as a blood-thinning agent.
- It is believed that regular consumption of Kashmiri garlic prevents common cold, flu, and cough. Besides, it is an excellent remedy for people having respiratory disorders like asthma and bronchitis.
Since we have talked so much about this magical garlic, let us tell you a quick recipe of Kashmiri garlic chili chutney. Is your mouth watering? Mine too!! Have a look!
- 7 Kashmiri chilies
- Hot water
- 1 cup Kashmiri lahsun
- 1 cup curd
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Take a bowl and add Kashmiri chilies
- Pour hot water into it and keep it aside
- Take Kashmiri lahsun and peel it
- Transfer it to a jar and add soaked Kashmiri chilies
- Add curd and salt
- Blend until it turns into a smooth paste
- Taste and add salt if required
- Take another pan and add oil
- Put mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- Now add the blended chutney into the pan
- Add water and stir well
- Let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes
- After it is done, turn off the flame