4 Useful Tips To Add Seasoning To Your Vegetable Dishes
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : June 03, 2022 04:06 IST
Kitchen hacks: Learn how to add spices to your vegetables
While we all try to add an optimal amount of vegetables to our daily meals in order to maintain good health and boost our overall well-being, it goes without saying that spices and seasonings form an integral part of cooking these vegetables. And when added in the right amount following the correct procedure, these masalas enhance the taste of the dishes that we make at home regularly. This article will tell you what to put in the pan first while cooking vegetables and how to use the spices.
- Heat oil in the pan properly before adding the spices: Before cooking any vegetable, oil should be put in a pan or kadhai for heating. When the oil is heated well, add mustard, cumin, or bay leaves to it. After this, you can add ginger and garlic paste. Although this is the correct process, unfortunately, the kadhai or pan is often not heated yet, and we start putting the masalas in it. At the same time, we should also keep in mind that the oil is not too hot. Because when it gets hot, cumin seeds etc., may burn, spoiling the taste of the vegetable.
- Use salt and turmeric with onions first while preparing vegetable gravy: Thaw the onions takes half an hour. In that case, try adding a little salt with a pinch of turmeric powder to the onion. Make sure to cover the vegetable after adding the salt and turmeric. Be careful and do not make the mistake of mixing tomatoes with onions.
- Avoid adding salt and masalas to the kadhai at once: Many people add salt, turmeric and vegetable masala while cooking vegetables. But doing so should be avoided, as it can make the vegetable tasteless. Do not add spices until the onion, tomato and vegetables are slightly thawed. After adding the masala, cover the vegetable and cook it for some time.
- Avoid mixing garam masala with other spices: Garam masala should be added for 5 to 10 minutes before turning off the gas. However, if you use whole garam masala, you can add it with other spices.
Other things to keep in mind:
- If you want to add black pepper to the vegetable, try using the black pepper powder instead.
- Use coriander leaves and kasoori methi only toward the end of cooking the vegetable.
- Cook the masala in the gravy till the oil leaves the masala.
- If you are using cloves, you can put them as a whole.