Hacks To Store Onions For Longer Shelf Life
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : January 27, 2022 14:01 IST
If you are wondering about ways to store onions to increase their shelf life, here are some hacks you need to bookmark.
Arguably, onions are one of the most indispensable items in the kitchen. From a simple curry to a stir-fry or a barbecue, onions are the best foods to spruce up any dish. Being a culinary staple, we often tend to buy them in bulk. However, this bulk-buying backlashes at us when the shelf life of onions reduces and we find most of them to be spoiled. So, if you are wondering about ways to store onions to increase their shelf life, here are some hacks you need to bookmark.
1. Moisture is the worst enemy of any fruit or vegetable. So, try your best to store onions away from moisture. Do not allow it to come in contact with moisture or else you’ll soon find them sprouting or becoming soft.
2. Remove the onions from a plastic bag immediately after coming bag as there are chances of them getting spoiled due to lack of moisture. Store them in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place for longer shelf life. You can use an open basket, pantyhose or a mesh bag for storing them.
3. Don’t store whole onions in the fridge. Storing them in the fridge will expose them to cold and humid conditions. Hence, they’ll absorb moisture and spoil faster.
4. If you have peeled onions in your pantry, it's best to store them in the fridge to prevent bacterial contamination. However, make sure you store them in an air-tight container in the fridge.
5. If you want to make sliced, cut or diced onions, then it's best to wrap them in plastic cling wrap and store them in the fridge.
6. It's best to store cooked onions in an air-tight container or a resealable bag and then keep them in the fridge. They can be stored in the fridge for up to three to five days without spoilage.
Now that you know these hacks, we hope you won’t have to throw away onions in the bin anymore. Do try these tips and let us know if they work.