7 South Indian Rice-Based Dishes You Can Enjoy For Breakfast

Whether you have leftover rice in the refrigerator or you are planning to prepare the grain from scratch, you can make among the most fulfilling dishes from it. Rice is lightweight, slightly starchy, and easy on the digestive system. If you are running late for work or have all the time in the world before going to the office, South Indian rice-based delicacies are perfect for breakfast.

Video Credit: Veggie Recipe House/ YouTube

From lemon rice to tomato rice, there is a wide variety of finger-licking dishes that are a must-try. Not only are they tasty but they also help to improve the digestive system and overall well-being. Most of the dishes will not take more than 30 minutes to prepare, and you can have them on the way to your office or enjoy them with a hot cup of coffee or tea on the side.

Tamarind Rice (Puliyogare)

Tamarind rice shows the love of South Indians for tangy dishes. The rice is prepared in the tangy pulp of tamarind and simmered in jaggery and spices. Though it is often served in temples as prasadam, it can be quickly made at home for breakfast. You can reduce the tangy flavours by moderating the amount of tamarind water you put into the recipe. 

Ven Pongal

Ven Pongal is a delicious savoury dish prepared in many South Indian households. The rice grains are cooked with lentils, the usual choice is moong dal. Tempered in ghee, rice and lentils are flavoured with black pepper, curry leaves, and cumin seeds. You can enjoy it with sambar, coconut chutney, or even raita of your choice.

Lemon Rice

For lemon rice, you can use leftover rice as well. It will add texture to the dish. You have to prepare a temperament of urad dal, chana dal, mustard seeds, turmeric powder, dry red chilli, and curry leaves. Add cooked rice to the pot and toss the grains around until each one turns yellow. Add lemon juice on the top, toss everything together, and serve it hot.

Curry Leaves Rice

In India, curry leaves are added to multiple dishes because of their medicinal benefits and bitter-sweet flavours. You can make curry paste using leaves, garlic, green chillies, and spices. Cook rice in this paste and enjoy the wholesome dish for breakfast. You can even pack it for lunch.

Curd Rice (Thayir Sadam)

Starting your mornings with creamy curd rice is among the best ways to begin your days. Cook the washed and rinsed grains in coconut. Once the rice is 90% done, temper it with green chillies, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Cook the remaining 10%, top it with fresh coriander leaves if you wish to, and enjoy. It offers respite from heat in summer and tastes oh-so delicious.

Coconut Rice

For this dish as well, you can use leftover rice and make a comforting bowl to satiate your hunger. Steamed rice is tossed with grated coconut that adds creaminess and richness to the recipe. The dish is tempered with green chillies, urad dal, and mustard seeds. You can pair it with a pickle or chutney of your choice. 

Tomato Rice (Thakkali Sadam)

Prepare a tomato-based spice mixture using tomatoes, green chillies, and onions along with some traditional spices. Add cooked rice to this and toss it around until each grain is well coated with the paste. Add a splash of water and cover the lid to let the dish come together. Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve it hot or pack it for lunch. It is perfect to begin your day.