Semi-boiled eggs, with oozing yolks, are the main carrier and element of this sandwich.
Sandwiches are undoubtedly a one-finger dish that has endless possibilities of introducing variety in taste with numerous vegetarian non-vegetarian fillings loaded between two humble bread slices. One of the promising sandwiches in the row waiting to win the hearts and find a long-lasting place in those evening menus and morning quick meals is the Kolkata Street-Style Grilled Egg Mayo Sandwich. It is made with utmost attention to getting soft-boiled eggs with half-cooked yolks. These are way too simple to get on the plate, and deliciously mouth melting to satiate the tongue and belly for long. Just a base layering of mayonnaise, middle layering of eggs and topping of onion, chillies and coriander ensure that you get that awesome filling.
Quick Sandwich Facts And The Various Kinds
The origin of the sandwiches lies in the 18th century and is overwhelmingly attributed to John Montagu, the Earl of Sandwich who had ordered his cook to bring meat between two bread slices. Its name comes from the place Sandwich in South-East England. Some of the popular Indian egg sandwiches are Scrambled Egg Toast, Egg Bhurji Sandwich, Grated Boiled Egg Sandwich, Grilled Cheese Eggsplosion and Indian Railway Omelette.
Little About Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise, also called Mayo, has become such an indispensable bread spread today and more so when it comes to sandwiches. It's a thick, cold, and creamy sauce that is made of eggs and cream. It is said that the French chef of Duke de Richelieu created mayo in 1756 to celebrate the victory of the French Duke who was likely to defeat the British at Port Mahon. On the nutritional front, mayonnaise is rich in vitamin E, and omega-3, both of which are beneficial for heart health.
1. 4 slices bread
2. 2 eggs
3. 40 g mayonnaise
4. 10 g onion (finely chopped)
5. 10 g coriander leaves (finely chopped)
6. 1 pinch salt
7. 1 pinch of black pepper
8. butter (for grilling)
1. Firstly, boil the eggs for about 5–7 minutes to get soft-boiled eggs. The boiling time would also depend on the size of the eggs.
2. After boiling, immediately dip the eggs in cold water, as this prevents the yolks of the soft-boiled eggs from cooking further.
3. Take bread slices, and spread 10 gm of mayonnaise on each slice.
4. Then peel the eggs and chop them into 4 equal halves and place them over the bread.
5. Add salt and freshly crushed pepper to them.
6. Add the chopped onions and coriander, and sprinkle them over the eggs.
7. For getting a golden crust, spread softened butter on the outside of both the bread slices.
8. Heat an iron skillet or tawa. Place the buttered side down and press a bit with a spatula for even grilling. Flip the side and toast on the other side too for a minute.
9. Serve hot, with ketchup and green chilli sauce.
Grilled Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich is ideal for a lazy day and mood, and a flaring appetite. Toast a few slices to experience a differently approached combination of eggs and bread. Eat it with red and green chutney.