This Schezwan Chili Potato By Chef Kunal Is Worth Drooling For
- Tanisha Salwan
Updated : September 26, 2022 06:09 IST
Here is one more dish that proves the versatality of potatoes!
Potato is quite a versatile vegetable and we know it. They can be used in almost everything be it salads, soups, and main course dishes. Be it Indian or Chinese, potatoes have spread their charm pretty well. Among all the loved potato dishes, there is chili potato which is an adaption of a Chinese recipe. It makes a tasty snack and an even tastier side dish.
We have brought for you a recipe of chili potato dazzled with schezwan sauce and you are going to love this. This isn’t your regular recipe but with a different potato texture. Unlike the other recipes, it has treated the potatoes differently which is everything. Chef Kunal Kapur shared the recipe of this schezwan chili potato and made it much easier for us. So, here is the recipe you must look at without delay.
- 3 potatoes
- 1 cup cornflour
- Salt to taste
- 1 spring onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup water
For chili paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 dry red chili powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon
- 2 tsp schezwan pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ ginger
For Schezwan sauce
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp Schezwan pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Take the potatoes and peel them. Cut them into small pieces.
- Add the potato pieces into the boiling water. Add salt and let it boil for 1o to 12 minutes.
- When done, remove the potatoes and mash them into a smooth paste.
- Add cornflour and chopped spring onion into the potatoes and bring them into a soft texture.
- Add some water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Portion the mixture into equal balls.
- First, roll the portions into balls and using the head of a narrow-mouthed bottle give shape to the balls.
- When done, add the balls to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
- Keep a cold-water bath ready to stop the cooking.
- As soon as the balls begin to float in the boiling water, remove the potato buttons and add them to the chilled water, and reserve.
- Meanwhile, take a pan and add water, red chili along with spices. Boil till the chilies become soft. Strain out the excess water and blend into a puree with the spices.
- Take another pan and add oil. Add chopped garlic and ginger and give a quick stir.
- Now add in the schezwan pepper, chopped onions, and bell peppers and toss to cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the schezwan sauce and cook while stirring till the excess water has evaporated.
- Add in the tomato ketchup, soya sauce, vinegar, and water to adjust the seasoning.
- Make a slurry using the cornstarch and add it to the sauce to thicken it. Adjust the seasoning and sugar and taste.
- If the balance is to your liking, then add in the potato buttons and mix, being careful not to break them.
- Finish with some chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy it hot!