Thai Red Prawns Curry: The Authentic Recipe To Add Spice To The Taste Buds
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 29, 2022 15:08 IST
This hot and spicy recipe to add strong flavours to your plate
Red curry is a Thai dish which is one of the most popular Thai cuisines and is made of a red curry paste cooked in coconut milk with added meat such as chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, prawns or even tofu for the vegetarian version. Red curry is prepared with several red chillies which give it a bold and spicy flavour. It has a depth of flavours and the taste is complex, because of the numerous layers coming out of the several ingredients added in the curry paste which is simmered with the meat and cooked. The taste is sweet, savoury, spicy and is rich.
Tracing The Origins Of Thai Red Curry
The dish is believed to have originated in Central Thailand. Since it was the only South Asian country which was not colonised during the Western imperialism in Asia, so the original dish remained impact without any European influence and alteration. The spices remained strong and fragrant and the same method of cooking is still practised.
This doesn’t mean that Thai cuisines remained unaltered at all. The story is such that Thai people got the skills of frying from China and the cuisine got a new wave of aromatic spices from India. They got chilli peppers from Portuguese and peanuts from America which are now known to be staples of Thailand. The roots and native herbs remained intact which give Thai cuisines an unique, traditional flavour and taste.
- 1 small Red Capsicum
- 1 small cup Zucchini
- 1 small cup Broccoli
- 1 cup Prawns (medium)
- 600 ml Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pinch of MSG
- 3 tbsp Red Curry Paste
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
For the Red curry paste
- 10 Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Chopped Lemongrass
- 2 tbsp Chopped Galangal
- 3 Kaffir Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 3 small Shallots
- 2 tbsp Garlic
- 8-10 birds Eye Chillies
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a bowl add red chillies, lemon grass, garlic, galangal, shallots, thai red chillies, coriander, kaffir leaves, thai basil, lemon and a little bit of water, stir well and mix properly and also add little salt.
- Add the stirred ingredients in the mixer and grind it into a thin paste
- Add 3 tablespoon of paste in pan and add coconut milk, zucchini, broccoli, red pepper, salt, sugar, soya sauce, MSG, thai red chillies, birds eye chillies, prawns, some fresh thai basil and now turn on the flame, simmer for 10-12 minutes
- And Thai Red Curry with Prawns is ready to be served
Thai curry is a prominent dish among Thai cuisines and is often enjoyed, when poured hot over a plate of hot, steam rice. The thick red texture gives it an appealing look to be served in front of the guests. This easy recipe could be made and enjoyed at home.