Watch: Here’s How You Can Make Thai Curry With Corn Rice At Home
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 12, 2022 03:06 IST
Thai curries are really creamy and delicious and this corn rice makes them even tastier.
Whenever we dine at any Pan-Asian restaurant, you’ll notice that the menu is filled with Japanese, Chinese and Korean delicacies. What shines the most is a separate Thai section, full of their curries and dishes. The Thai fare comprises of spicy salads and boiled dishes and is really flavourful. The origins of Thai cuisine can be traced back to the Chinese emigrants who settled in Thailand, moving from the southern provinces of China. The Thai cuisine is about 1,400 years old. The highlight of any Thai meal is the fact that it combines all the five important flavours i.e. sweet, spicy, sour, salty and bitter in one dish.
The art of combining contrasting flavours, like mango with lime, is simply magical when it comes to Thai cuisine. It is the Thai curries that are my favourite. The rich flavour of coconut milk added to these curries, along with aromatic herbs to season the dish and make them fragrant is what makes them so unique. Usually paired with steamed rice, the best flavour of the curry can be retained when the rice is plain so that it doesn’t spoil the palate for the curry. However, home chef Sonia Sarpal has managed to give us a delectable and heart-warming recipe of Thai curry with corn rice.
Although corn rice is common to be eaten as a standalone dish, she combines it with the flavourful Thai curry and we love the idea. Boiled sweet corn added to the rice while it is being cooked lends the rice grains a tender sweetness that matches well with the sweetness of the coconut-based curry.
Want to try? Here's the step-by-step recipe.
Thai Curry With Corn Rice
- 50 gm Thai curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 /2 diced onion
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup mixed bell pepper
- 2-3 baby corn
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 3-4 cubes tofu
- 5-6 basil leaves & cherry tomatoes for garnishing
- For Rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn
- Salt to taste
- Begin by mixing thai curry paste with coconut milk and stir it well.
- Chop vegetables like broccoli, baby corn, carrots, bell peppers and shallots.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the vegetables.
- Pour the thai curry mixture prepared in the beginning and mix it well.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes and add some tofu cubes to it.
- Mix this entire curry well and switch off the flame.
- Next, begin the work on corn rice.
- Take another pan and add some oil to it. Toss in some boiled sweet corn into it.
- Boil rice and drain the water. Pour the rice in the pan and add salt to it.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Take out the rice and transfer to a plate. Pour some thai curry over it and mix well before eating.
- Your flavourful Thai curry with corn rice is ready.