Sweet-Corn Chaat: Delicious Desi Flavoured Snack
- Team Slurrp
Updated : October 25, 2022 03:10 IST
One of the favourites among the evening snacks, Sweet Corn Chaat is a desi snack with a melange of flavours
Sweet Corn Chaat is one such snack where the spices just complement too well with the main ingredient, sweet corn.
Sweet corn has a taste that has always been felt pleasant by everyone. The variety of appetisers, snacks and curries made are always appreciated and corn has emerged as the star ingredient. This is an easy, quick snack, which can be eaten with evening hot tea or on a rainy day and a light bite snack during a movie night. The delicious taste of sweet corn blends so well with almost all ingredients, which makes it a versatile ingredient itself. Its taste is often craved by many, especially for light hunger pangs and as a simple evening snack.
You May Also Like
Corn Pudding: A Delicious dessert For A Perfect Evening
What’s better – desi bhutta or American sweet corn?
Recipe: Delicious and super-healthy Corn Chaat to satiate your evening hunger pangs
Flavours Of Kashmir: 5 Irresistible Kashmiri Desserts For Your Sweet Tooth
This Sweet And Savoury Cheese Tea Has Love Pouring In From All Corners Of The World; Best Chai Places In Delhi
Corn is the most consumed and grown crop in the United States. The mutated variety, where the recessive genes convert the sugar into starch, is responsible for the sweet flavour. The original corn variety is different than this. Sweet corn is primarily used for its taste to make many dishes. The Indian version of making sweet corn chaat is a popular snack used at various occasions. Its easy availability with the groceries makes it a household item for its frozen form is also popular.
How to Make Sweet Corn Chaat?
This desi or Indian chaat made with sweet corn is much loved by people of all age groups including children. The sweetness of sweet corn when blended with the spices complements well and in fact enhances the flavour. The use of chaat masala imparts an outstanding flavour.
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ⅓ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ½ to 1 teaspoon finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro)
Instructions to Prepare Sweet Corn Chaat
- Choose tender corn cobs or frozen corn kernels
- Use a knife to separate corn kernels
- Put the kernels in a bowl filled with water
- Boil the kernels till they become soft
- Drain water and let it cool for a while
- Prepare cumin powder by roasting cumin seeds followed by grinding till the kernels cool
- Add salt, chilli powder, chaat masala, and cumin powder to the bowl where corn kernels are kept
- Optionally add (sauteed or not) one-fourth cup chopped onions, one-third cup chopped tomatoes and half teaspoon finely chopped green chilli
- Mix everything well
- Transfer the prepared chaat into a serving bowl
- Optionally, add roasted peanuts or sev and coriander leaves
- Adding melted butter will only make it more delicious. Just adjust the salt accordingly
Fresh corn and frozen corn is easily available at the grocery stores. Sweet Corn Chaat is an absolute delight in the rainy season or a tasteful snack for guests or for a movie night. Moreover, this is also a snack for tea lovers for it goes well with tea. This is also a terrific option for outdoor parties. Its requirement of only boiling the kernels and simply adding spices and veggies of choice is what makes it a time-saving and delightful snack.