Spicy Rajma Salad: A Wholesome And Nutritious Recipe
- Team Slurrp
Updated : June 29, 2022 07:06 IST
This yummy and healthy salad can be eaten as a snack or served as a side dish
For all the rajma fans out there, here is a dish that will leave everyone craving for more: Spicy Rajma Salad. It is spicy, tangy, and crunchy, and is quick and easy to make. What’s more, it is packed with nutrition, making it a healthy option as compared to a rich curry. So, try our rajma salad recipe with a twist.
You May Also Like
All About Rajma
Rajma or red kidney beans is best known for the North Indian speciality, Rajma Chawal (rajma curry, cooked in a curry of pureed onions, tomatoes, and garam masala served with rice). The dense, smooth texture of rajma makes it a popular favourite among many, especially in the Indian subcontinent. In fact, Rajma Chawal is also eaten in Nepal, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. However, there are many variants of Rajma Chawal even within India that are cooked differently from the Punjabi Rajma Chawal, arguably the most popular version. There are regional versions in places like Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and others. Rajma is not just made in a curry style, there are many other kinds of dishes that are made from it. It can be innovatively made into kebabs and as a filling in sandwiches.
However, despite its popularity in the Indian subcontinent, many are surprised that rajma didn't originate there. The red kidney bean is actually native to Mexico. It was brought to India by Europe, due to trade, during Colonial times.
Rajma is packed with nutrients and is good for controlling high blood pressure and high blood sugar. It is rich in potassium, protein, and antioxidants. It also contains soluble fibre and has a low glycemic index. So, enjoy the humble kidney bean in any preparation preferred and savour it to the heart's fill.
• 1 cup rajma/kidney beans
• 1 cup chopped onions
• 1 cup chopped tomato
• 2 tsps chopped green chilli
• 2 tbsps fresh finely chopped coriander
• 3 tsps lemon juice
• 2 tsps olive oil (extra virgin)
• 2 tbsps crushed roasted peanuts
• Salt as per your taste
• Water to boil the rajma
1. Wash the kidney beans and soak in half a bowl of water for approximately 6-8 hours
2. After some time, drain the water and add the beans to a pressure cooker
3. Add a teaspoon of salt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook the beans till they are softened
4. Drain the water. Do not throw away the water, instead keep it aside to use later for other use such as making curries or kneading dough
5. Add the boiled kidney beans to a bowl
6. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of kidney beans and mix well
7. Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top, and serve
Spicy Rajma Salad can be eaten as a snack, a salad, or served as a side dish to any Indian main course. The salad can be played with other ingredients as per preference that can spice up the salad.