Rice To Mocktail: 4 Unique Ways To Consume Grapefruit
- Nikita Toppo
Updated : September 28, 2022 04:09 IST
There are so many ways to include grapefruit in your diet starting from eating directly to blending into smoothies, but have you tried grapefruit mocktail
Citrus fruits are among the top food items to have a nutrient-rich profile. They have a perfect mix of sour and sweet flavours that gives them a tangy and zesty taste. Orange and lemon are the most common citrus fruits in India. While orange is used in preparing juice and dessert lemon is an integral part of Indian cuisine. From tea to pickles, the flavour of this little citrus fruit is required in a variety of dishes. But there is another citrus fruit called grapefruit that is not so common but is loaded with nutrients and can be consumed in ample varieties.
This beautiful fruit has a unique taste that is the combination of sour, sweet and bitter flavour. It is high in nutrients like fibre, vitamins, and antioxidants and has low calories, this makes it an ideal food for weight-loss. Grapefruit also contains a lot of water that helps in keeping the body hydrated and the high content of vitamin C and other nutrients helps in building immunity. According to Healthline, it is also beneficial for controlling cholesterol and blood pressure level, hence reducing the risk of heart disease.
There are so many ways to include grapefruit in your diet starting from eating directly to blending into smoothies, but have you tried grapefruit mocktail? Here are four unique and interesting ways to include grapefruit in your meals:
You May Also Like
4 Ways To Give Your Meals Unique Makeover With Vermicelli
Granola: A Perfect Snacking Alternative While Working From Home (Unique Recipes Inside)
5 Unique Ways To Jazz Up A Bowl Of Peanuts
Mochi Ice-Cream: Everything About This Unique Japanese Frozen Dessert
5 Unique Ways To Store Lemons For A Long Time
1. Grapefruit Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp ginger (grated)
- 3 green chillies (slit)
- Few cashews nut
- Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Heat oil and add both the dals, cashew, curry leaves and all other spices.
- Fry them properly until the colour changes.
- Heat another pan and add the grapefruit juice then turn off the heat immediately.
- Now, add the tempered juice and salt to the cooked rice.
- Enjoy with spicy any side dish.
2. Grapefruit Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (strained)
- 1 1/2 tsp grapefruit zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For Grapefruit Glaze
- 1 cup sugar (sifted)
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, strained
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Then in a medium bowl, whisk the eggs once combined, whisk in the yogurt, brown sugar, oil, grapefruit juice, zest, vanilla extract, and seeds.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon. Do not over mix.
- Spread batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool.
- For the glaze, whisk the mentioned ingredients together and drizzle over cake.
Slice and serve.
- 4 ice cubes
- 120 ml grapefruit juice
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 120 ml soda water
- Twist of grapefruit peel, to garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker or large lidded jar with ice cubes.
- Add the grapefruit juice, lemon juice and honey.
- Cover, then shake until the shaker feels cold.
- Put the sugar on a small plate and run the lime halves over the rims of two tumblers.
- Turn the rims of the tumblers in the sugar to coat.
- Put a few ice cubes in each tumbler and strain the grapefruit mixture between them.
- Top up with soda water and garnish with a twist of grapefruit peel.
4. Grapefruit Chicken
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (sliced in half)
- Juice one grapefruit and slice the top and bottom of the second one and cut into wedges.
- Place these wedges in a sauté pan.
- Squeeze the remaining flesh and membranes of the grapefruit to release any juice into a bowl and add sugar, honey and whisk.
- Pour half of the mixture into a sauté pan with the grapefruit wedges.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened, for about eight minutes.
- To the remaining half mixture add half oil, one teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of black pepper and whisk properly in a plastic bag.
- Add the chicken in the bag, seal and toss a bit and rest on the counter for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high and brush lightly with oil.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and shake off the excess marinade.
- Place the smooth-side down on the grill and cook for three minutes, then flip and cook two more minutes.
- And it's ready to serve.