Raw Milk Vs. Pasteurised Milk: Which Packs A Healthier Punch?
Image Credit: iStock

The age-old argument between raw milk and pasteurised milk. It's a never-ending question, but milk was consumed by humans long before it was pasteurised in Europe in the late 19th century. Why is it suddenly so dangerous? How long does raw milk remain fresh? Milk was regarded as a fatal food since it was an ideal breeding ground for some harmful, contagious microorganisms long before the Industrial Revolution. Dairy cows were housed in more urban locations as a solution to lessen the distance the milk had to travel, which was a pretty good solution for a while.

In this article, we'll look at how pasteurised milk and raw milk differ from one another and what is the better choice for you. Keep on reading to know everything about these two milk types.

Raw Milk

It is the fresh milk that has been extracted directly from healthy cows, goats, sheep, or any other animal that has only been given grass. This milk is unpasteurized, non-homogenized, has no additives, all the natural enzymes, minerals, and vitamins, as well as all the essential ingredients. However, it is acknowledged that raw milk contains harmful bacteria that can seriously endanger anyone's health. It is harmful to persons with weakened immune systems, expectant mothers, and even young children.

Pasteurised Milk

Around 150 years ago, Louis Pasteur created the pasteurisation procedure while entrusted with coming up with workable answers for issues like preventing hazardous bacteria from proliferating in various foods.

Pasteurisation is a physical procedure that rapidly warms and cools perishable beverages including juice, beer, kosher wine, and of course, milk to eradicate bacteria like salmonella, listeria, and E. coli that can cause illness.

Numerous studies have demonstrated that this procedure eliminates vital milk components such as vitamins, enzymes, and beneficial bacteria.

What Are The Differences?


It is true that there could be potentially dangerous microorganisms in raw milk. Pasteurised milk considerably lowers that risk.

Pasteurisation of milk considerably reduces the risk of "bad" bacteria like E. coli, listeria, salmonella, brucellosis, and tuberculosis. They might still be present, but in such tiny quantities that getting sick is unlikely.

But it's crucial to remember that pasteurised milk can spread potentially harmful bacteria. Those microbes will flourish in that lactose-containing sugar water if left out or uncovered.


The 22 amino acids that makeup proteins, including 8 essential ones, are all present in raw milk. All of them are completely available.

80% of the milk proteins in processed milk are somewhat heat stable, while the remaining 20% are not. This contains the amino acids lysine and tyrosine, both of which are rendered useless by heat. This affects the entire protein complex, reducing its availability for tissue regeneration and muscle growth.


Pasteurisation alters not just the quality but also the flavour. The flavour of raw milk is excellent. It is flavorful, creamy, and fresh. Like most other foods, raw milk tastes best when it's fresh rather than after it's been processed.

Which One Is Better?

In light of the entire discussion, it can be said that raw milk is healthier than pasteurised milk because it has all the necessary nutrients. It contains a variety of probiotics and enzymes that pasteurised milk does not. But if you are concerned about the bacteria present then pasteurised milk is the one for you.