Ranveer Brar’s Eggless Omelette Is The Perfect Veg Breakfast
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : September 19, 2022 08:09 IST
All the joy of a fluffy omelette, without the eggs.
Eggs for breakfast is a global solution, but if you’re a vegetarian, choosing what to eat every morning can be a little bit tougher. But celebrity Chef Ranveer Brar has come up with a way that nobody has to miss out on the delicious experience. The Eggless Omelette.
With all the texture and flavour of the OG, this recipe takes the traditional egg omelette and replaces the egg protein with gram flour. Although similar to the Gujarati Besan Chilla, it has a thicker consistency and fluffier finish thanks to the addition of baking soda which helps it to more naturally replicate the experience of an egg omelette.
The fillings are also closer to that of a stuffed omelette than the Indian chilla and when paired with bread, you’re sure to relish a breakfast that is quick, healthy and completely vegetarian.
- ½ tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Green chilli, chopped
- ½ inch Ginger, chopped
- 1 medium size Tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup Process cheese, grated
- 1 Bread slice, (trim the edges)
- 1 cup Gram flour
- ⅓ cup Refined flour
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp light Saffron water or Haldi (optional)
- 1 cup Milk
- ½-¾ cup Water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1-2 tbsp Melted butter
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Tomato
- 1 medium size Boiled potato, diced
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder
- In a non-stick pan, add oil, and butter. Once it's hot add a little onion, green chilli, ginger, and tomato and saute it well.
- Add coriander leaves and saute for a minute.
- Now, pour a ladle full of batter and rotate the pan so that it spreads evenly all around.
- Cook till the underside is done and the edges begin to loosen
- Add grated cheese on one side and roll.
- In a non-stick pan, add oil once it's hot, and add tomato and potato.
- Season it with salt and pepper and cook until it's light brown in colour.
- Serve hot with charred tomatoes and potatoes.
- In a bowl, add trim bread slice, gram flour, refined flour, salt to taste, sugar, and saffron water.
- Add milk, water, and baking soda and whisk it well.
- Make sure there are no lumps or you can bend it with the help of a hand blender.
- In a non-stick pan, add butter once it's melted, pour it into the batter bowl and whisk it again nicely.
- Keep aside for at least 15 min before
- further use.
For Bread Omelette
- In another non-stick pan, add oil once it's hot, add the remaining onion, green chilli, and ginger saute it well.
- Add tomatoes, and coriander leaves and saute for a minute.
- Pour a ladle full of batter and rotate the pan so that it spreads evenly all around.
- Apply butter on both the bread slice and place the bread slice on the pan butter side upward.
- Flip the omelette to the other side, add grated cheese and fold it from all sides.
- Place the other bread slice on top and then flip it so that the other bread slice gets toasted.