3 Punjabi Dishes To Try This Weekend
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : January 27, 2022 14:01 IST
Find the list of the three best Punjabi dishes with crucial ingredients and the making process.
I am a Punjabi, and I can tell how passionate are Punjabis about cooking with butter and ghee. Our slices of bread are served with 'safed makhan', and curries are boiled in desi ghee. Moreover, spices like coriander powder, garam masala, carom seeds, and cumin are also used to balance the various tastes flawlessly. Do you know why? So that a single flavour doesn't get overwhelming. Are you drooling already? Learn from our spread layout as we bring you three traditional dishes directly from my Punjabi kitchen.
PUNJABI RAJMA MASALA
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Onion - 2 chopped
- Salt - as per taste
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Garlic - 3 buds
- Butter -1/2 tsp
- Rajma - 1 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup
How to make Punjabi rajma?
- First of all, keep the rajma soaked in water overnight.
- Now, put ginger, garlic, onion in a mixer and prepare a paste.
- Now heat oil in a cooker, cook the prepared paste for three to four minutes.
- Next, add tomatoes, turmeric, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, cardamom powder, and boil after the masala is cooked.
- After some time, put rajma in it, cover the cooker, and turn off the gas after five to seven whistles.
- After the cooker's pressure is released, take it out on a plate and serve delicious rajma with rice.
PUNJABI STYLE KADHI PAKODA
- Green chilli-2 finely chopped
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin-1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato-1 chopped
- Asafoetida-1 pinch
- Onion-1 chopped
- Gram flour-2 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Oil-2 teaspoon
- Curd-3 grams
How to make Punjabi kadhi pakoda?
- First, put water in gram flour, curd in a vessel and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida, onion, fenugreek seeds, cumin and fry until it becomes light brown.
- After some time, add green chilli, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and tomato. Mix well and cook for four-five minutes.
- Now to make pakodas, prepare a solution of pakodas by adding salt and red chilli powder to a cup of gram flour.
- Now put the pakodas in the kadhi, cook for seven to ten minutes, and turn off the gas. If you want, you can set the pakodas at the bottom of the kadhi.
- After this, cook cumin and whole red chillies in a vessel and add the tempering to the kadhi.
- Jaggery - 2 cups grated
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Wheat flour - 2 cups
- Milk - 1/2 tbsp
- Ghee - 1/2 tsp
How to make jaggery roti?
- First of all, put jaggery milk in a pan, cook it on a medium flame for some time, and let it cool.
- Mix it well while adding baking soda to the dough.
- Now add milk jaggery mixture to the mixed flour, knead the dough, and make medium-sized roti.
- After this, heat the ghee on the pan and bake the roti well on both sides.
- Jaggery roti is ready to serve.