Mashed Potato : A Delicious Side Dish Of 5 Ingredients With Extra Butter
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 31, 2022 19:08 IST
Cooking one of the most common side dish can be a matter of fun
Mashed Potato is actually a side dish which is served along with vegetables. In India, mashed potatoes are commonly known as “chokha”. Mashed Potato is served differently in different parts of the country. For example, Litti Chokha is a prominent dish in Bihar which is incomplete with mashed potato. Also, Dal, Chawal and Chokha are mostly served at home as a meal. Well, this side dish is very famous because it’s not much hard to prepare and cook. Also, it is tasty and healthy.
The History of Mashed Potato:
There is no exact mention anywhere of how Mashed Potato originated. However, it is said that in 1771, a French man named Antoine Parmentier held a competition on ways to make potatoes where mashed potato was actually discovered. Another saying is that they were English people who discovered mashed potato long ago in the 1600s.
Well, keeping aside its origin, at least this is true that mashed potato has a huge global presence across the countries and it is also quite very famous in India too. So, let’s learn to cook mashed potato in a very easy way by just using 5 simple ingredients which are present at home all the time.
Preparation- 15 to 20 minutes
Cooking- 15 minutes
Serves- 3 to 4
- 2 cup Potato (Boiled & Peeled)
- ½ cup Butter (salted)
- ¾ cup Milk
- Fresh Parsley
- First of all, take 2 cups of boiled and peeled Potatoes and especially make sure that the potatoes you're using are old and starchy
- Then start mashing the potatoes in small batches or one at a time. Once you start mashing, you'll notice grits in potatoes that you need to remove through a sieve. Do this in smaller quantities too
- After passing all the potatoes through a sieve, let's start chopping Parsley and ensure that you chop it nice and fine
- After chopping Parsley, it's time to cook mashed potatoes. For that, heat ½ cup of Butter in a pan and once the Butter gets heated, add ¾ cup of Milk and start mixing the potatoes into it
- Cook the potatoes till it comes together and waits for them to form a huge lump, which is a sign that it's cooked perfectly. Once everything comes together, it's time to add finely chopped Parsley. Then mix it thoroughly and hence your Mashed Potatoes are ready to be served on the dining table
Moreover, you can also add toppings extra Butter and more Parsley that will make mashed potato even more tasty and enjoyable. Also, make sure to use salt as per your taste because adding too much salt will make it salty and spoil your work.