Mango Chilli Wings: Chicken Wings Served With Mango Sauce
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 26, 2022 06:08 IST
An appetiser full of crunch, flavour, and taste
Ever since the advent of global fast-food outlets and takeaways - like McDonald’s and KFC - chicken wings have become a universally loved food and keep evolving with delectable variations thus making us addicted to this snack. However, not many can think of eating the crunchy and savoury chicken wings with a crazy combination of dulcet mangoes.
The appetiser, called Mango Chilli Wings, is a sweet pulp of mangoes, which is combined with spicy, sweet and sour seasoning of tamarind, spices, and jaggery to be finally ground into a thick sauce. The unique mango sauce and the mildly seasoned and well-baked chicken wings together become a flavorful marvel worth indulging in.
Chicken wings, the coated and deep-fried chicken snacks are obtained from the whole chicken meat and can be of two kinds. One is called drumettes which closely resemble chicken legs and have a single, main bone running through the middle of the flesh. The other is called wingettes or flats, as they are flat-shaped and have two smaller bones running through the length of the wing.
These chicken wings taste even more incredible when paired with a creamy dip prepared with mayonnaise, garlic powder, lemon juice and pepper powder. The baked chicken wings make for a healthy non-veg snack and the delicious mango puree adds an interesting flavour to the crispy chicken wings.
It may sound weird but Chicken wings were originally called Buffalo wings and continue to be called so. According to historical sources, it was invented in 1964, in Buffalo town of New York and became popular throughout the country in the 1970s and 1980s after the official proclamation of June 29, 1977, as Chicken Wings day. Besides, a buffalo-style sauce made of hot sauce, spices and vinegar, was used for the first time to season the chicken wings. Perhaps, a combination of these factors led to the naming of Chicken Wings Buffalo Wings.
Preparation time: 1 hr
Cooking time: 40 mins
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ½ cup rice flour
• 1 tsp cumin seed powder
• 1 tbsp paprika powder
• ½ tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp black pepper powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 500 gms chicken wings
• 2 tsp oil
• 500 gm chicken wings
For mango sauce:
• 2 tbsps oil
• 2 tbsps cumin seeds
• 1 tbsp red chilli flakes
• ¼ cup red bell pepper (chopped)
• 8-10 garlic cloves
• ¼ cup onion (chopped)
• 1-inch ginger (chopped)
• ½ cup mango pulp
• 1 tbsp tamarind paste
• 2 tbsps jaggery
• 1 tsp black pepper powder
• Salt, to taste
• In a bowl, add rice flour, refined flour, powdered spices and salt and mix them well. Meanwhile, preheat the oven.
• In a bowl, take fresh and washed chicken wings and apply oil to them thoroughly.
• Then, coat the chicken wings with the flour mix and place them on the baking tray and bake them for 25-30 minutes at 165°C.
• Start preparing sauce by heating coconut oil in a pan, and adding cumin seeds and red chilli flakes to it until they start sputtering.
• Then add bell peppers, garlic cloves, ginger slices and onions and cook them until they soften a bit.
• Reduce the heat to low, and add mango pulp and mix and cook for a minute.
• Then, add tamarind paste, jaggery, red pepper, and salt, and stir to mix well.
• Let it come to a boil and turn off the flame.
• Allow it to cool and then grind into a fine paste.
• Take out the baked chicken wings and brush them with the ground mango sauce.