Honey Chilli Potatoes: The Sweet-Spicy Starter For Any Occasion
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : March 06, 2023 07:03 IST
Sweet, spicy, crunchy and delicious. Honey chilli potatoes hit all the right notes. This simple starter is loved all over the country and has become a hallmark of Indo-Chinese cuisine.
Honey chilli potatoes is a popular Indo-Chinese dish that has become a favourite among foodies worldwide. This dish is a perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavours, making it a delicious treat for those who love bold flavours. In this article, we will discuss the origins of the dish, its ingredients, and how to make it at home.
Honey chilli potatoes is a fusion dish that combines elements of Indian and Chinese cuisine. It is believed to have originated in the Indian-Chinese restaurants in Kolkata, a city in eastern India. The dish gained popularity due to its unique flavour and texture, and soon it spread to other parts of India.
You May Also Like
Honey chilli potatoes is a delicious Indo-Chinese dish that can be easily made at home. It is perfect as a snack or as a side dish for any meal. With the right ingredients and a little bit of practice, you can make this dish in no time. So, next time you are craving something sweet and spicy, try making honey chilli potatoes at home and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.
- Potatoes: 500g
- Cornflour: 3-4 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour: 1-2 tablespoons
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil: for frying
- Garlic: 4-5 cloves, finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2-3, finely chopped
- Onion: 1, chopped
- Capsicum: 1, chopped
- Tomato sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Chilli sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Honey: 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Water: ½ cup
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into thin slices or long strips. Soak the potatoes in water for 10-15 minutes to remove the excess starch. Drain the water and pat dry the potatoes using a kitchen towel.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornflour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Add water gradually and make a smooth batter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Dip the potato slices in the batter and fry them in hot oil until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove the fried potatoes using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add finely chopped garlic, green chillies, and chopped onion. Sauté them until they turn translucent
- Add chopped capsicum and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato sauce, chilli sauce, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and water. Mix everything well and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes to the sauce and toss them until they are coated well.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
- To make the dish less spicy, you can reduce the number of green chillies or skip them altogether.
- To make the dish gluten-free, you can substitute all-purpose flour with rice flour or cornflour.
- Make sure to drain the excess oil from the fried potatoes using a paper towel before adding them to the sauce.