Eat According To TikTok: 3 Viral Food Recipes To Try
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : October 03, 2022 11:10 IST
All the world's a platform and all the people merely content creators.
There’s something about food on social media that just looks special. The perfect angles, lighting and soundtrack and suddenly every dish seem gourmet. But we’re here to tell you – that it’s just not true. All this culinary eye candy started from kitchens just like yours and replicating them at home is easier than it looks.
Trending food can range from the sublime to the ridiculous but once in a while, there are some true strokes of genius that emerge from the depths of the internet. We've gathered up three of these winners that cover breakfast, lunch and dinner so that you can have a day of nothing but delicious trend-worthy food.
A 10-minute breakfast that’s easy and healthy, this recipe can be made with fruit or chocolate, depending on how indulgent you’re feeling that morning.
- 2-3 slices of soft bread (depending on size and thickness)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon Greek yoghurt
- 2-3 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- Handful of fresh or dried fruits
- 10g Dark chocolate chips
- Optional garnish with a drizzle of maple syrup
- Preheat an air fryer or oven to 180°C
- In a small bowl, add the egg, yoghurt and maple syrup. Whisk together to form a liquid custard
- Using your fingers or the back of a spoon or fork, press into the centre of the bread to indent and create a well without cutting through
- Spoon the custard mixture into the indented well and add your toppings on top.
- Air fry for 4-5 minutes or bake for 8-12 minutes.
- The custard should be set and start to caramelise on the edges when ready.
Salmon and Rice Bowl
Running late for a meeting but can’t ignore your grumbling stomach? This quick Japanese-inspired recipe is delicious, uses up leftover rice and is ready in 15 minutes. If you don’t have salmon on hand, substitute with canned tuna or pan-fried paneer or tofu.
- 1-2 cooked salmon filets
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 ice cube
- ½ avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce to taste
- 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise to taste
- 2 tsp sriracha optional
- Kimchi, to taste optional
- 12 roasted seaweed sheets optional
- In a microwave-safe bowl, flake your cold salmon until it's broken up into small pieces. Using a fork works best.
- Add your leftover rice right over the salmon, then place one cube in the centre, nestling it into the rice.
- Cover with parchment paper or a paper plate (just make sure steam can escape) and microwave on high for 2 to 2 ½ minutes.
- Remove bowl from microwave and discard any remaining ice.
- Add soy sauce, mayonnaise and sriracha (if using) and mix with rice/salmon until combined.
- Top the dish with diced avocado and more mayonnaise, sriracha (optional) soy sauce to taste.
- At this point, you can enjoy the rice bowl as-is OR add kimchi and wrap the rice mixture in your seaweed pieces and enjoy as mini-wraps!
Baked Feta Pasta
For a few weeks, the internet was abuzz with this set-it-and-forget-it dinner solution. All the best parts of a sumptuous pasta dish with none of the hassle.
- 200 gms cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60 gms feta
- 300 gms pasta
- 5 medium garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 240 gms spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Add tomatoes and garlic to a baking dish. Toss with olive oil and a few pinches of salt.
- Place the feta in the centre of the tomatoes and turn to coat with oil.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Then remove the baking dish, and raise the temperature to 200 degrees. Bake until tomatoes and cheese are starting to brown slightly, about 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta to al dente in salted water.
- Reserve ½ cup of pasta water and right before draining pour and submerge spinach in with the pasta. Drain pasta and spinach.
- Smash the tomatoes, garlic, oil and feta together with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Toss pasta in with mixture along with basil, parsley and red pepper flakes.
- Thin mixture with a few tablespoons of pasta water at a time to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.