Doh Khlieh – A Pork Salad From Meghalaya
- Risha Ganguly
Updated : August 02, 2022 12:08 IST
Doh Khlieh is prepared using pork brain
One part of Indian cuisine that remains largely unexplored in the mainstream coverage is the diverse recipes from North East of the country. Whether it is Naga cuisine or Sikkimese delicacies or Manipuri dishes, they remain unknown to the rest of this country that is otherwise obsessed with food. Somehow, most of us do not go beyond the basic momo or pork ribs when we try out food from the North East, which again is a very myopic look into the wide range of flavours that the entire area encompasses. Today, let me introduce you to a pork salad that the people of Meghalaya absolutely love and give you a quick and simple recipe for it.
Doh Khlieh is a traditional pork salad that is eaten by the Khasi tribe of Meghalaya. It is mainly prepared by using pig brains and also contains other organs of the pig. The term Doh Khlieh literally means mixed meat and it is precisely how the dish is made – by mixing all the parts of a pig. The salad is healthy, delicious and one of the easiest pork dishes that you can prepare. Although there are several variations of the dish and people in Meghalaya add ingredients according to their own taste, the entire dish does not require more than 5-6 ingredients. Follow this simple recipe to make Doh Khlieh at home and bring the taste of Meghalaya into your kitchen.
- 250 gms Pork with fats
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1½ inches Ginger, finely chopped
- 5-6 Green chillies, slit from the middle
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Chopped parsley/coriander leaves
- Cut the pork into medium sized pieces.
- Boil the pork in a pressure cooker with salt till 4-5 whistles.
- Check if the pork is cooked and tender.
- Strain the water and keep the pork aside in a bowl to get rid of the moisture.
- After the pork is dry, chop it further into smaller pieces.
- Add the sliced onions, chopped ginger and coriander and salt to the chopped pork.
- Add salt to taste and mix everything together.
- Your Meghalaya style Doh Khlieh is ready to be served along with meals or as an appetizer.
Try this wonderful and easy to make pork salad from Meghalaya and taste for yourself the unique flavours of North Eastern food.