Chicken Cheese Cutlets: Deep-Fried Fritters With Goodness of Cheese
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 23, 2022 21:08 IST
With minimum effort, this snack will win hearts and taste buds
Indian food platter is rich in its deep-fried fitters and snacks. Right from Pakoras, Papads, Pooris, and Samosas to Jalebies, there is no end to the number of deep-fried snacks an Indian household can pull out. From this list of snacks are the amazing Cutlets that come in the form of vegetarian and non-vegetarian cutlets. While the cutlets with vegetables are okay and enjoyed, the cutlets with the filling of chicken or mutton are relished. The soft chicken meat mixed with a blend of spices and potato, coated with crispy breadcrumbs, and deep-fired is heaven in every bite. To ramp up the taste, the addition of cheese in this recipe is ultimate.
From French to Indian plate of cutlet
Though not much is known about the invention of this delicious snack of Cutlets it is believed that the term cutlet originated from the French dish of côtelette, which over a period evolved into cutlet in English. The dish of côtelette in Italian is referred to as food that is dipped in egg and bread crumbs and then fried. The word cutlet is believed to have been first used in 1682. Hence, the appropriate name for chicken cutlets in India.
However, in the late 19th century cutlets are said to have been invented in Japan during the Meiji period. During this period, Katsuretsu – which is a transliteration of the word cutlet- which was a version of schnitzel or similar dishes were prepared. These were part of yoshoku, which is a subset of Japanese cuisine based on Western influences.
- 4 medium-sized boiled Potato
- 200 grams boiled and shredded Chicken
- 250 grams Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- A handful of coriander
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Green Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
- Oil for frying
For the coating:
- 4 tbsp Maida
- 2 Egg Whites
- 4 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- Over medium heat, place a pan and pour oil. Add the ginger garlic green chilli paste and the chopped green chillies. Let it fry for about a few minutes
- Add the chicken and mix it. To this add the white pepper, cumin powder, chilli flakes, and garam masala powder. Turn off the flame and mix the spices well with the chicken. Once mixed well, remove from the flame and let it cool
- To the chicken add coriander, cheese, and mayonnaise. Mix well with the chicken and then add the boiled potatoes. Now mix the potatoes well with the chicken and form small cutlet-size balls. Keep it aside
- Whisk the egg white with a pinch of salt and black pepper and keep it aside
- Now dip the cutlet first in the dry flour, then in the egg white, and coat it lastly with breadcrumbs. Repeat with the rest of the cutlets
- Over medium heat, place a pan and pour oil. Now deep fry the cutlets until golden brown. Serve with dip
An easy, quick, and tasty evening snack to have been prepared for a good mood is this Chicken Cheese Cutlet. The tenderness of the chicken, mixed with the softness of the potatoes and the richness of cheese just makes these fitters an appropriate munch. For one’s liking, maybe reduce the number of potatoes and add more cheese and chicken instead, the taste will remain heavenly.