3 Weird Things We Bet You Haven’t Made In Your Air Fryer Yet
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : October 05, 2022 10:10 IST
If it’s edible, we’ll find a way to air fry it.
If you’re like me, trying out new food trends has become an unhealthy addiction. Social Media has a way of making every dish look so simple and yet so beautiful that you just have to try it out for yourself. Cloud bread, healthy coke, feta pasta, I’ve tried them all, and with every new idea that pours forth from the internet, I’m compelled to try it for myself. So, naturally, I now own an air fryer.
Having made the investment in a new appliance, I was determined to use it as much as possible, every day if I could. But the thing is, you run out of ideas of things to fry pretty fast. As I was confronted with the realisation that I didn’t eat fried foods as much as I thought I did, I was swept away by a wave of regret that carried me into a wormhole of research. What else could you do with an air fryer, besides fry?
Turns out. A lot. As an appliance, it turns out that air fryers are more versatile than we give them credit for and if you have a grasp of basic kitchen chemistry, you’ll find that most dishes actually can be cooked in them. Here are a few interesting ideas for unexpected foods you can make in your air fryer.
Mac And Cheese
- 500 gms macaroni
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 250 gms sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- Few grinds of fresh nutmeg
- Preheat air fryer to 200°C for 10 minutes and line with foil or parchment paper.
- Rinse pasta in warm water and drain.
- Place milk, chicken stock, butter and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave until the butter melts.
- Mix drained pasta, microwaved mex, cheddar, mozzarella, salt, pepper, mustard, cayenne and nutmeg in a large bowl then pour into the Air Fryer handled pan.
- Place a sheet of greased parchment on top of the macaroni, press it down and cover with foil.
- Cook in the air fryer for 30 minutes (It may need more time depending on the wattage of your machine) until the pasta is cooked through.
- Remove foil and parchment, stir and serve.
Hard Boiled Eggs
- 6 large eggs (cold)
- Place all your eggs in the air fryer basket.
- Set the temperature to around 130°C and cook for 16 minutes.
- Remove the eggs and immerse them in an ice bath until cool.
- Peel and enjoy.
Fried Tequila Shots
- Fried Tequila Shots
- Vegetable oil
- ½ cup tequila
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 vanilla pound cake
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- Cut your cake into large chunks.
- In a shallow bowl combine the tequila and lime juice in a shallow bowl.
- Quickly dip your chunks of cake into the tequila mixture. The cake will soak up the alcohol like a sponge.
- Place the chunks into an air fryer at 180°C for 10 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Let the tequila cake pieces cool slightly before dusting with powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle with fresh lime zest.