Soulfood Guide: Make Olives In 6 Different And Desi Way
Image Credit: Pexels

The olive is a species of tiny tree or shrub that is native to the Mediterranean region and belongs to the Oleaceae family. When it grows in shrub form, it is referred to as dwarf olive, small olive, or Olea europaea 'Montra'. All Mediterranean nations, as well as Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, and South Africa, cultivate this species. 

It is the type species of the Olea genus. The Oleaceae family of plants, which also contains species like lilac, jasmine, forsythia, and the real ash tree, gets its name from the tree and its fruit.

The fruit of the olive tree, commonly referred to as an "olive," is a staple of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines and is of significant agricultural importance in the Mediterranean region. There are known to be thousands of varieties of olive trees. 

Olive cultivars might be mainly used for eating, for oil, or both. "Table olives" are the term most commonly used to describe olives grown for human use. Only 20% of all picked olives are used as table olives; the remaining 80% are processed into oil.

Here are six different ways to try olive in a new creative way. Why not make it desi? 

Know How To Make Olives The Desi Way

1. Olive Pakoras

Olive pakoras are delightful and perfect with Mediterranean flavours. The whole olives are spiced in chickpea flour batter and deep-fried until golden brown. It tastes sour and briny. The key to perfecting olive pakoras lies in achieving the right consistency of the batter—thick enough to coat the olives evenly but not too dense. You can air-fry these too. Serve these pakoras with mint chutney or tamarind sauce for dipping. 

2. Olive Masala Curry

Olive masala curry is a rich and flavourful gravy. The dish has caramelised onions, garlic, and ginger, with spices such as cumin, coriander, and garam masala. Whole olives are added to the mix, allowing their briny flavour to mix in the sharp taste of spices. Cooking the curry low and slow brings out the best taste. One can garnish the olive with masala curry and chopped cilantro. 

3. Olive And Paneer Tikka

Olive and paneer tikka go very well together, for sure. To prepare this dish, cubes of paneer and whole olives are marinated in a spiced yoghurt mixture before being skewered and grilled to perfection. The marinade is made with yoghurt, turmeric, chilli powder, and cumin. Serve the olive and paneer tikka hot off the grill, garnished with slices of onion, bell peppers, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. 

4. Olive And Potato Chaat

Olive and potato chaat is also a great choice for the bold flavours of olives. To prepare this dish, boiled potatoes are diced and tossed with whole olives, onions, tomatoes, and a variety of spices, including chaat masala, cumin, and red chilli powder. One can add sweet and tangy chutneys, such as mint and tamarind. Crunchy sev, cilantro, and chopped onions make great garnish too. This is perfect for satisfying cravings for something savoury, spicy, and utterly irresistible.

5. Olive And Lentil Soup

Olive in lentil soup works the same as adding tempering with achar to dal. Olive and lentil soup is a comforting and nutritious dish. To prepare this soup, one should mix lentils with onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until tender and flavorful. Whole olives are then added to the pot, infusing the soup with their distinctive briny taste. Spices such as cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika further enhance the flavour. 

6. Olive and Spinach Stuffed Paratha

Olive and spinach stuffed paratha is made if one has more than one olive variety. Simply make whole wheat dough rolled out into discs and stuffed with a flavorful filling made from sautéed spinach, chopped olives, onions, and a choice of spices. The parathas are then cooked until golden brown and crispy, with the filling. Serve the parathas hot off the griddle with yoghurt or a side of tangy pickle. 

Try out these recipes to explore the best of olives in Indian Cuisine. One can also make a few changes and customise the dishes accordingly suiting their taste too.