Watch: Lunch Calls For This Crispy Chicken Cutlet Pao From The Streets Of Goa
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : May 04, 2022 08:05 IST
Let’s try making this popular street food from Goa today for lunch, what’s say?
Think Goa. Think beaches and a whole lot of seafood. On most days in Goa, you’d find your feet filled with sand because obviously, you can’t miss out a day in this region without heading out to the beach. Grabbing a bite here and there while soaking in the sun and glistening waters is how a day looks like in Goa. Nightlife is quite a treat too for the night owls who like to party hard. However, it is these small bites that you nibble during the day that make Goa so special. You wouldn’t have to go far away to some posh restaurant to look for authentic food.
There are plenty of shacks on the beach and small eateries and street food carts which offer the Goan flavours in a donna. Ros omlette is one of them. A typical Goan would be familiar with the delicious taste and enticing aroma of ros omlette being prepared in the vicinity. A special egg preparation, the omlette is served on a bed of thick gravy that adds to the uniqueness of the dish. It is usually eaten with pao or what they call the Goan poi (bread). This reminds us of another heavenly street treat that is a must-have in Goa. While the fascination of Goans for paos is no stranger to us, all thanks to the Portuguese, there’s this really interesting dish called the Goan cutlet pao that everyone swears by.
Crispy, fried chicken is sandwiched between a pao with some sauces and vegetables and is commonly found on the streets of Goa. Do you want to bring this classic street fare to your home? Well, we’ve got an amazing recipe by homechef Shrishti Prabhudesai who’s actually from Goa.
Here’s a detailed recipe for you to try for lunch at home.
Goan Chicken Cutlet Pao
- 250 gms of Chicken breast
- 1 tsp of Black pepper powder
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
For Green Masala
- 1/2 bunch coriander powder
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp or lemon juice
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 4-5 cloves
- 6-7 peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 Green chillies
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- To make the green masala, take all the ingredients like coriander powder, garlic, tamarind pulp, ginger, sugar, turmeric, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, green chillies and onions and grind all to a semi solid paste.
- Next, move on to the marinated chicken. Coat with the breast pieces with semolina and shallow fry until the chicken is cooked nicely.
- After this, you can start assembling your cutlet pao by putting all the things together.
- Apply cheese spread on one side of the pao or poi and then slather some ketchup.
- Place the fried chicken on it.
- Garnish with some chopped cabbage and onions.
- Squeeze a dash of lemon juice on top and fold it.
- This quick and easy cutlet pao recipe will be ready in minutes and you will be drooling.