Veg Manchurian: A Fusion Of Flavours
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 21, 2022 08:08 IST
This dish is a delicious combination of Indian and Chinese cuisine
In a globalized world, various kinds of experimentation in terms of fusion of cuisines are being constantly tried out. While some dishes fail to become popular, others click right away and get included in local fare. One such example is Veg Manchurian, a delicious dish comprising vegetarian balls, made with shredded cabbage, carrot, cornflour, maida, green capsicum, which are deep fried in oil and soya sauce, and then added to a curry of a melange of different kinds of sauces, such as vinegar, soya sauce, and tomato sauce, along with cubes of green capsicum, onions, and spring onions.
This dish is said to have been invented in a Mumbai restaurant, in the 1970s, by a chef by the name of Nelson Wang. It is said that a customer made a request to the chef to make a unique dish. And the rest, as they say, is history. At every eatery, from fine dining restaurants to small eating joints, Veg Manchurian is served and is highly popular.
Veg Manchurian is usually savoured in restaurants, but it can be made at home as well. Here is a simple preparation of the dish.
- 1 cabbage
- 2 green capsicums
- Peeled garlic cloves
- 1 spring onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion stem
- 1 ginger
- 2 green chilis
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 dry red chilli
- 6 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon maida
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- Soya sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Finely chop three tablespoons of garlic, finely chop a cabbage, finely chop one green capsicum and cut the second capsicum in cubes, chop one spring onion, chop the green chilis, finely chop one carrot, finely one chop one ginger, peel about five garlic cloves, and cut the dry red chilli into medium-sized pieces
- To make the Manchurian balls, in a bowl, add the chopped cabbage (keep aside one tablespoon of the cabbage for later) , chopped carrot, half chopped ginger, half chopped spring onion, finely chopped green capsicum, chopped green chilis, one tablespoon of chopped garlic, half teaspoon black pepper, and a pinch of salt, and mix all the ingredients well
- Add quarter teaspoon vinegar and a teaspoon of soya sauce, and mix well
- Add the cornflour and maida, and mix well, after that make balls out of the mixture
- Heat enough oil in a pan to fry the Manchurian balls. Fry on low flame till the balls are a deep brown
- In a pan, heat two tablespoons of oil, add the cut dry red chilli, add finely chopped garlic, add the chopped ginger, the chopped onions, and onion stems, green capsicum cubes, two tablespoons soya sauce, the chopped cabbage, and stir well
- Add one tablespoon ketchup, add one cup of water, add salt as per taste preference, add chopped coriander, and stir well
- Add one cup of diluted cornflour, one teaspoon of vinegar, mix well, and then add the Manchurian balls, add coriander leaves for garnishing
- Take off the flame and serve hot
Veg Manchurian can be served with noodles or fried rice.