Sweet Potato Puran Poli Recipe By Nidhi Nahata
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 03, 2022 01:06 IST
The stuffing of puran poli varies region wise and also in different traditional ways but that of fresh grated coconut and jaggery, chopped cashew nuts tossed with some cardamom powder and saffron happens to be the most common.
Ugaadi, the Telegu New Year is round the corner and so out home kitchens are busy with all delectable goodies that’s being prepared. One such dish is Puran Poli, though it might me popular in Maharashtra but is equally loved in Karnataka too. Also known as Poli or Vedmi in Gujarat, Obbattu / Hoorna Holige in Karrnataka, Boorelu or Bobbattu or Bobbattlu or Poley or Poleylu or Bhakshalu or Oligalu in Tamil Nadu, this festive dish is ana absolute delicacy. The stuffing of puran poli varies region wise and also in different traditional ways but that of fresh grated coconut and jaggery, chopped cashew nuts tossed with some cardamom powder and saffron happens to be the most common one
Sharing a recipe with us is Justbe Resto Café; a distinctive menu is crafted to tickle your tastebuds just right by offering an explosion of flavors. This place invites one to “Taste Good Health” where eating and being together becomes a moment of sharing,
bonding, gratitude and celebration. The ingredients are designed to awaken our instincts, which assist in building our immune system and forge a deeper relationship with food.
Here’s the Ugaadi special Sweetpotato Puran Poli recipe by Nidhi Nahata, founder Justbe Resto Café.
Ingredients for Puran (dal stuffing)
• 1½ cup soaked and boiled chana dal
• 2 tbsp grated coconut ¼ tsp turmeric
• 1 tbsp almond butter
• 3 cup water
• 1½ cup jaggery½ tsp cardamom powder
• Pinch nutmeg
Mash the chana dal
• Take a pan put jaggery and water and allow it boil till it thickens and mix all the ingredients and cook well and allow it to cool
Ingredients for Poli (roti)
• 2 cup wheat flour
• ¼ tsp turmeric
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 tbsp almond butter
• water (for kneading)
• Other ingredients:
• Wheat flour (for dusting)
• Cold press coconut oil (for greasing the tava)
Method (outer covering):
• In a large bowl take 2 cup wheat flour, add ¼ tsp turmeric, ¼ tsp salt and 2 tbsp almond and mix well making sure all the ingredients are well combined.
• Now add water as required and start kneading the dough.
• Knead to a smooth and soft dough adding water in batches.
• Grease the dough little oil , cover and rest for at least 1 hour.
• After 1 hour, punch and knead the dough again.
• Pinch a ball sized dough and make a smooth ball and form a cup by pressing the dough from the sides.
• Place a ball sized prepared puran (dal stuff).
• Start to stuff inside by pulling the dough without having any pleats.
• Now seal the dough without any cracks.
• Dust the ball with wheat flour and flatten slightly.
• Now roll gently, without putting much pressure and roll as thin as possible and making sure the puran (stuffing) is distributed uniformly.
• Now cook the puran poli on hot greased tawa keeping the flame on medium, flip over once the base is half cooked.
• Puff the puran poli, making sure to cook uniformly
• Serve it with love
• You can store it for a week in the refrigerator