Try This Easy Pumpkin Rice Recipe For Lunch
- Risha Ganguly
Updated : July 29, 2022 22:07 IST
If you are confused about how to include pumpkin in your diet, we have the perfect Pumpkin Rice recipe for your lunch
Pumpkin is one of the most versatile ingredients that can be used to make both savoury and sweet dishes. Besides being compatible with most food items, pumpkin is also low in calories yet filling, so it is a great food item to fall back upon if you are trying to lose weight. Pumpkin is also a minimal-waste vegetable because it’s flesh, seeds, leaves all can be made into delicious dishes and consumed.
Health benefits of pumpkin
Immunity – Pumpkin can increase the immunity power of your body because of the fact that the vegetable is rich in both Vitamin A and Vitamin C. They strengthen immunity cells and help the body fight back when a pathogen is trying to attack the body. Vitamin A also helps in strengthening the intestinal lining and making it immune to diseases.
Skin and Eye Heath – Consuming pumpkin in your diet has a positive impact on the health of your skin and body. It contains beta carotene that protects your skin against the damage caused by UV Rays of the sun. The combination of vitamins and minerals in pumpkin can also protect against age-related macular degeneration and keep your eyes healthy.
Improves Metabolism – Eating Pumpkin in your meals will manage your blood sugar levels and help in distribution of fat in your body. An increased metabolic health aids in weight loss. Because pumpkin is rich in fiber, it can help stabilize blood sugar spikes after you consume foods rich in carbohydrates.
Improves Heart Health – The fiber, potassium and Vitamin C in pumpkin help in managing blood pressure and keeps your heart hearty and healthy. Pumpkin seeds are a great source of antioxidants, magnesium, zinc and fatty acid. All of these nutrients are known to improve heart health.
If you are confused about how to include pumpkin in your diet, we have the perfect Pumpkin Rice recipe for your lunch that is very easy and quick to prepare.
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin
- 4-5 Green Chillies
- 2 sliced onions
- Salt, as per your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1.5-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tablespoon ghee/oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
- Mint/coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Wash your rice and soak it in water for half an hour.
2. Cut your pumpkin into small cubes.
3. Heat up the ghee in a pressure cooker and add cinnamon, cumin, cloves and bay leaves to it.
4. You may add sugar in the ghee for a caramelized colour and flavour.
5. Add your sliced onion and cook till they are soft and brown.
6. Add the turmeric powder and green chillies.
7. Drain the rice and put it in the pressure cooker.
8. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium flame and add garam masala.
9. Add water to your rice and let it cook on medium flame for 2 whistles.
10. Remove from the heat and garnish the rice with mint or coriander leaves.
Your delicious and healthy pumpkin rice is ready to be served hot with raita.