Try Making These Instant And Hassle-Free Medu Vadas
- Tanisha Salwan
Updated : August 26, 2022 21:08 IST
You can make these medu vadas in less than 15 minutes. Try it yourself!
If you are a fan of South Indian food, you know what medu vada is. Medu vada is a popular South Indian breakfast that has the shape of a doughnut, thus sometimes called an Indian doughnut. These are technically lentil fritters which are crispy and crunchy. Medu vadas are undoubtedly a commonly prepared dish in every South Indian household and have become an inevitable part of life. Generally prepared with urad dal batter and even black lentils, these are fried in oil and served. This is commonly served with sambar and coconut chutney. One can also serve with other chutneys. It is a great go-to snack with evening teas.
Let us tell you something about medu vadas. Medu is actually a Kannada word for soft while vada is a word for soft fritters. This dish is called by different names in different regions. Like it is known as ulundu vadai in Tamil, garelu in Telugu, and uzhunnu vada in Malayalam. Medu vada’s origin has quite many theories but some popular theories indicate that medu vada was first made in a kitchen in Karnataka’s Maddur town. Medu vada is also quite popular in Maharashtra as it was introduced there by many Udupi restaurants.
Though medu vadas are delicious, one might get tired of just having the thought of making them. One has to soak the lentils overnight and then blend them in the morning. So much chaos na? Don’t worry. We have your back. We have a recipe for instant and hassle-free medu vadas that you can make in less than 15 minutes. These instant medu vadas are made up of sooji and are the best quick recipes you will ever find. Follow these steps and have the easiest and tastiest medu vadas on your plate.
- 3/4 cup sooji/ rawa (fine)
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander (chopped)
- Some black pepper
- Oil to fry
- Take a pan and heat water in it.
- Now add sooji and let it cook.
- Keep stirring it and let it cook until the sooji absorbs the water completely.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Once done, take out the sooji batter and add it to a bowl.
- Now add green chilies, curry leaves, and ginger.
- Also, add chopped onion, chopped coriander, and black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Now shape the mixture into balls.
- Flatten them and make holes in them.
- Take a kadhai and add oil.
- Fry the medu vadas on medium flame until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Your medu vadas ready.
- Serve with chutney and enjoy.
- Cool the sooji mixture slightly and then fry it.
- Fry on medium-high flame until it gets golden brown.
You can serve this medu vadas with sambar and coconut chutney or even with tomato or coriander chutney. Let us know if you liked this instant and hassle-free recipe of medu vada!