Quick South Indian Recipes: How To Make Instant Medu Vada At Home With Bread?
- Ria Baidya
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Medu vada is golden-coloured crispy delight which can now be made in a couple of minutes.
South Indian cuisine never fails to impress us. They have an array of fried and steamed snacks which are simply lip-smacking. Medu Vada is one of those cripsy snacks, one piece of which is never enough for anyone. The delicacy is often paired up with piping hot sambhar or delectable chutneys. Medu Vada is prepared from rice fermented batter which is seasoned with spices and herbs. Then it is rolled into a doughnut like-shape and deep-fried until golden. Fermentation process takes 10-12 hours and many of us prepare the batter the night before. Since our hunger pangs can’t wait for this long, we have brought you an instant recipe which can be rustled up in a couple of minutes. Bread medu vada is a quick way to savour your favourite South Indian snack in a couple of minutes. In this recipe, the slices of bread are torn into pieces and dunked into yogurt. Unlike the traditional recipe, the smooth thickness of this instant batter is given by the sour yogurt. The dish uses minimal ingredients which are available in every Indian household across all time. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for instant medu vada.
- 12-15 bread slices
- 1 ½ cup yogurt
- 1½ cup rice flour
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ baking soda
- 3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 ½ inch ginger, grated
- 1 medium size onion
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
1. Take the bread slices and trim them from edges, and then tear them into small bits.
2. In a bowl add the cubed bread, rice flour and yogurt. Mix them well until everything is well combined.
3. After that add cumin seeds, green chillies, onion, ginger, curry leaves, salt and baking soda to the bread mixture. Mix it well and make sure the batter is slightly thick rather than runny.
4. You can adjust the quantity of yogurt or rice flour according to your needs as well.
5. Heat oil in a nonstick-pan over high flame for deep frying the medu vadas.
6. Take a small portion from the prepared vada batter and flatten it on your palm or on a plastic sheet.
7. Now, make a small hole in the middle of the vada with your finger and carefully drop it in the hot oil.
8. Then fry them until the medu vadas turn golden brown from both sides
Your yummy medu vada is ready. Enjoy them with sambar or chutneys.