Thanksgiving 2022: This Green Bean Salad Will Be A Showstopper
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : November 24, 2022 03:11 IST
Thanksgiving is a time for indulgence and great food, and this simple but tasty salad fits the bill perfectly. Serve up a big bowl for a burst of colour on the table and a burst of freshness on your palate.
Green beans are one of the most misused vegetables in the line-up. So often people boil them to death until they’re soft and floppy and then wonder why they don’t taste good. With a bit of respect and some care, green beans can be one of the most versatile salad ingredients around. They work well cold or hot, and when cooked correctly have an amazing crunch that adds texture and dimension to a dish.
This simple Green Bean And Almond Salad will be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table because even though there are only a few ingredients, it looks and feels complex. What really gives this dish an extra touch of something special are the toasted almonds. That nuttiness in contrast with the sharp balsamic and the salty feta kicks the whole dish into high gear. And what’s even better is that it can be served warm or cold and can be left out without wilting or getting soggy so it’s the perfect choice for a buffet too.
- 500 gms green beans
- 50 gms feta
- 50 gms almonds
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by chopping your almonds into slivers and toasting them in a dry pan. You can use them with the skin on but if you prefer to peel them, just soak them in hot water for 15 minutes and the skins should slide off easily.
- Rinse the green beans and remove the top stems.
- Set the toasted nuts aside and boil a pot of water large enough to accommodate your green beans. Salt the water and when it comes to a rolling boil, throw in your green beans and cook for about 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely dice your onion and tomato and add them to a bowl.
- Drain the beans and chop them into bite-sized chunks and add them to the bowl.
- Crumble in your feta, top with balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
- Serve warm or cold.