Tamil Nadu Bans The Use Of Liquid Nitrogen In Smoke Biscuits

With the age of social media, viral food videos have become the norm – showcasing some jaw-dropping edible creations that might shock and awe. In the newest addition of these entertaining videos, a recently viral one showcased a young boy from Karnataka enduring a painful experience during an exhibition, as he took a bite of what is known as a ‘smoke biscuit’. What was essentially liquid nitrogen poured on to a bite of cream wafer, the video – which sparked concerns following the reaction from the child, leaned into concluding that the cause was an accidentally excessive amount of the substance which was poured on top of the food product.

The low temperatures of the liquid nitrogen, which have since been deemed harmful for human consumption, have been known to cause mouth burns, stomach ache, irritable bowel syndrome and even skin allergies. In the wake of this incident, the food safety officials in the state of Tamil Nadu instantaneously sprung into action, banning the use of liquid nitrogen or N2 in all kinds of food products. The substance, which creates the illusion of smoke when consumed in products like ice creams, paan and sweets, has been deemed potentially harmful – thus resulting in the revoking of licenses of vendors within the state.

Also Read:

Kongunadu Cuisine: Exploring The Lesser-Known Food Culture Of Tamil Nadu

Those found to be in violation of the ban have been warned of being liable to pay a fine of 2 lakhs, while also being dissuaded from advertising any products which use the substance. While state officials have been on a spree to identify and fine any vendors who might continue to sell these food products, emphasis is also being put on educating the masses about the harmful effects of dry ice and liquid nitrogen. Typically used to freeze and pack food, liquid nitrogen is used to preserve the freshness and longevity of perishable food products like yoghurt, fruits and fruit-based beverages.