Spanish Omelette: A Delectable Omelette Cooked With Potatoes
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 28, 2022 17:08 IST
A delightful combination of fried and crispy potatoes with eggs
Traditional Spanish fare includes the Spanish Omelet, often known as tortilla de patatas. It is a quick and simple recipe. Whether for breakfast or a snack, you can enjoy this delectable egg recipe anytime. The smokey flavour and crunchy texture are to die for. On days when you know you'll eat a late lunch, this omelette dish, which only calls for eggs and tomatoes yet is quite satisfying, is the perfect choice for breakfast. You could also eat this omelette for dinner. All you need to do to enjoy a complete supper is to mix up a salad. For all egg lovers, this recipe is a must-try.
It's a great variation on the traditional omelette dish. The nicest part of this dish is that it just requires a few readily available ingredients and can be prepared whenever you want. This delicacy is a delightful combination of fried and crispy potatoes with parsley leaves for an amazing taste. It is quick and simple to cook at home. You may also have this delectable, scrumptious omelette with a glass of orange juice and savour each bite with your loved ones to appreciate it even more.
Folklore of Spanish Omelette
The "tortilla de patatas" is said to have been invented by Carlist general Tomás de Zumalacárregui to meet the army's food shortages while the Carlists were besieging Bilbao. It's unclear whether this is accurate, however it seems like the tortilla gained popularity during the early Carlist Wars.
Another story is that during the Portuguese Restoration War in 1665, Spanish prisoners captured during the Battle of Monte Claro learned how to prepare the dish. More than 6,000 Spanish soldiers were held captive for three years following the Portuguese triumph until the 1668 Treaty of Lisbon was ratified. Following their release, these inmates took with them various recipes from the Alentejo region, including a potato egg pie that gave rise to the contemporary “tortilla."
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 medium-sized potatoes, diced into small 1-inch pieces
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 8 eggs
- Salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- parsley, to garnish (optional)
- In a medium-sized nonstick pan, heat the oil
- Fry potatoes until they are golden, crispy, and soft
- Add the onion and cook it until it is translucent then drain the oil (if you have a metal strainer, use it) until all of the oil has been drained
- Put the potatoes and onions back in the pan in a single layer and lower the heat setting
- Eggs should be beaten with salt and pepper to taste
- Pour egg mixture into the pan and use a plastic spatula to spread the potatoes and onions out around the eggs
- Move the eggs around the potatoes occasionally while they are cooking to ensure that the eggs cook on the bottom and that there aren't many eggs remaining on top
- Flip the tortilla onto the large, round plate by placing it on top of the pan while holding the plate in your hand and then, carefully slip the tortilla back into the pan, moving the onion and potatoes back into the pan with it
- Cook the food until it is thoroughly cooked through, gently shaking the pan now and then
- Put a clean and dry plate on top of the tortilla and slide it again onto the plate to remove the tortilla from the pan, Use parsley as a garnish (optional)
- Serve alongside a salad or as an entree or appetizer. Fantastic for snacking.