The most underrated superfood Millet in back in town and pretty much making waves. Rich in fibre, protein, minerals and more finally millets are getting there due space on your plates.
It's important to watch what we eat and for the environmentally conscious generation millets make for a great choice as they require little water, grow well in arid and semi-arid regions of the world and thus, consuming them amounts to you leaving a lower carbon print in the world. The pandemic has brought about a structural change in people’s health choices, including the need to consume a healthy diet. Given this growing concern, the brand has been very well accepted by the consumers. Hence Shauravi Malik and Meghana Narayan launched Slurrp Farm to bridge the gap of healthy eating options in the children’s food market in India. The brand is all about is going back to the roots by using super grains, primarily millets in their products that pack fun, flavor and nutrients. As it focusses on reviving the use of super grains, driven by a strong vision of providing healthy snacks and mealtime options for young children and adults. Through its innovative portfolio of millet, ragi and oats based packaged food products (devoid of preservatives, artificial flavors and colors), Slurrp Farm is successfully contributing towards inculcating healthy eating habits among children and adults alike.
Their wide product portfolio includes Puffed Snacks, Millet Pancake Mix, Millet Dosa Mix, Cereals, Cookies, Sprouted Ragi Cereal, Millets and Oats Porridge, Date powder, natural sugars etc., and is constantly innovating to cater to the growing needs of consumers across age groups.
Here are two recipes that are shared by Meghana Narayan and Shauravi Malik, the founder of the brand.
Jaggery Jowar Roti
• ½ cup Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
• 1-1.25 cup Jowar Flour
• 1 tspn Fennel Seeds
• 1 Tablespoon Ghee
• Take ½ cup Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder and add 2 tablespoons water
• Mix well and keep aside for 45 minutes or till the jaggery dissolves
• Mix 1-1.25 cup Jowar Flour, 1 tspn Fennel Seeds, 1 Tablespoon Ghee in a bowl
• Strain the jaggery solution if needed and knead this mixture into a smooth dough
• If the dough is wet add little flour
• Take a banana leaf or zip lock bag
• Apply some ghee on the surface
• Make a medium size ball with the dough
• With a rolling pin roll a small roti (size of puri). The roti should be slightly thicker than stuffed paratha
• Gently remove the roti from the banana leaf
• Place it on a hot tava. Roast the roti on a low – medium flame
• Flip the roti when one side is brown
• Add a little ghee on top if you like
• Flip the roti couple of times till its evenly roasted
• Serve the roti when it’s warm
• With ghee, white butter or eat it plain
• 1/2 cup sooji semolina
• 1/2 cup ragi powder (Slurrp Farm Sprouted Ragi)
• 1/2 cup Yogurt
• 1 tbsp Ghee plus extra for greasing
• 3 tsp flaxseed powder optional
• 1 pinch baking soda
• 1 no medium-sized onion
• 1 tbsp chopped ginger
• 2 tsp chopped garlic
• 8 no curry leaves
• 2 tsp chana dal
• 2 tsp urad dal
• 3 tbsp grated coconut
• 1 tsp vegetable oil
• salt to taste
Steps to cook:
• In a bowl mix sooji, Slurrp Farm Sprouted Ragi, and flaxseed powder
• Add the yogurt, 1 tbsp ghee, and ½ cup of water
• Mix well and let it sit for about 15 minutes
• In a frying pan, heat some vegetable oil and add the chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves
• When the daal has browned a bit, add ginger and garlic
• Add chopped onions. Sauté till they are transparent
• Add grated coconut and sauté for a minute
• Add some salt
• Check your batter in the bowl. If it’s too thick add a little water
• Mix the fried masala and mix well. Add more salt if needed
• Apply ghee to the cavities of the appe pan and place it on the gas
• Pour a spoon full of batter in the cavities of the appe pan when the Pan is hot. Lower the heat and cover the appe pan.
• In about 10 minutes carefully turn the paniyarams when the bottom turns brown.
• Cover and cook for a few minutes till the other side turns brown.
• Take the paniyarams out when the other side is cooked well
• Paniyarams ready to eat!! Enjoy them with some fresh coconut chutney