From longer, stronger hair to good health, here are 10 benefits of aliv seeds
- Aayushi Gupta
Updated : July 27, 2022 06:07 IST
In the last few years, several seeds have become increasingly popular as nutritious foods. Find the 10 benefits of aliv seeds here.
There are so many options available when it comes to including a superfood in your diet, right from various fruits, nuts, spices, and seeds. While everyone is going gaga over these tiny nutrient-dense seeds such as chia, pumpkin, and flax, let us draw your attention to another tiny treasure trove of nutrients – aliv seeds.
Aliv seeds are a powerhouse of nutrition and they are here to save your hair from falling out. In fact, thanks to their high nutritional value, these tiny seeds are good for your overall health as well. They are packed with minerals, vitamin E, A, folic acid, protein, iron, folate, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and fiber. Additionally, they contain a lot of antioxidants, which lower the chance of developing various ailments, including heart disease and certain cancers.
Health Shots spoke to Dr Sherly Ganesh, HOD – Nutrition and Diabetics, Manipal Hospital Hebbal and Shruthi G, Nutrition and Dietetics, Manipal Hospital Hebbal, who listed down all the health benefits of aliv seeds.
“Aliv seeds, also known as garden cress seeds, can be taken as roasted seeds, sprouted seeds, or can be incorporated into our daily menu. These seeds can also easily be added to milk or even laddoos, stews, soups, and salads,” said Dr Shruthi.
How do aliv seeds help with hair growth?
“Aliv seeds are packed with calcium, iron, dietary fiber, and various vitamins like A, C, and E, which can help with hair growth,” adds Dr Ganesh. So, we aren’t surprised anymore about why these seeds can help with hair growth.
Here are 10 health benefits of aliv seeds:
1. Effective for healing bone fractures: These seeds can be consumed with water or warm milk to heal the fractures internally.
2. Improve and maintain liver health: Aliv seeds help to protect our liver from harmful toxins. A daily intake of these seeds helps to prevent liver damage and thus ensure a healthy metabolism.
3. Good for constipation in patients: Due to their rich fiber content, Aliv seeds have a good laxative effect.
4. Aliv seeds act as a memory booster: Intake of around 10 grams of seeds, that is 2 teaspoons of seeds, is good for maintaining optimum health.
5. Boost iron and hemoglobin levels: Due to the good amount of iron and folic acid in them, they help in fighting anaemia.
6. Useful for lactating mothers: One of the most common kinds of galactagogues, which are foods used to induce, maintain, and increase breast milk production.
7. Improves nutritional status: They are a good source of protein and fat and are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It can be given to children and teenagers to improve their nutritional status.
8. Good for those suffering from cardiac problems: Hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia, and associated cardiovascular diseases represent some of the greatest health problems prevalent throughout the world. Regular intake of Aliv seeds is favorable for cardiac patients.
9. Good for diabetics: The daily intake of Aliv is helpful for diabetic patients because these seeds reduce the blood glucose level and lower the blood cholesterol level.
10. Reduces the risk of breast cancer: These seeds have anti-inflammatory activity and anti-carcinogenic properties. Since it is a good source of antioxidants and phytosterols, they are very effective in preventing free radical damage to cells.