Bacardi Advocacy Lead Jonas Ax Shares His Favourite Japanese Whisky Cocktails
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : November 25, 2022 07:11 IST
Scotch Whisky is a phenomenon unto itself. There’s a legacy to uphold. A precise flavour profile. An emotion. But even though it’s steeped in tradition, that doesn’t mean that there’s no room for innovation.
So what makes a Scotch Whisky…Scotch? It all comes down to the distilling process. The grain, primarily barley, is malted and then heated over a peat fire and these steps are protected by UK laws governing the definitions of how it's marketed. Regulations state that a whisky can’t be called Scotch unless it's made using these specific processes as well as being entirely produced and bottled in Scotland.
It all seems pretty rigid, but there are many ways to subtly influence the flavours and notes of the whisky and DEWAR’S has embarked on a quest to do exactly that. In their Cask Series, they utilise casks from different parts of the world to infuse the whiskies with specific flavours. For example, the Portuguese Smooth whisky is aged in ex-Port casks, the Caribbean smooth in ex-rum casks, and the latest addition, Japanese Smooth is aged in 200-year-old Mizunara oak tree casks.
By ageing Scotch Whisky in a diverse range of casks, you can create very specific flavour profiles. Ageing in Mizunara casks brings out heathery, floral, and honeyed notes while introducing deep woody notes of sandalwood and cinnamon. It’s small touches like this that separate the regular from the exceptional.
Jonas Ax, a seasoned mixologist and Advocacy Lead for Bacardi India has shared his favourite ways to incorporate Japanese Smooth Whisky into some delicious cocktails that you can make at home.
- Japanese Smooth Whisky
- 120 ml Cold Soda Water
- Lemon Twist
- One can never go wrong with a simple club soda highball, which is the best way to experience Japanese Smooth Whisky.
- Simply place a nice big clear piece of ice in a tall glass, pour the whisky, top it off with cold soda, and garnish with a lemon twist to ace this novice bartender’s drink!
Harmony Old Fashioned
- 60 ml Japanese Smooth Whisky
- 5-10 ml Honey Syrup (1:1 honey to water)
- 2-3 dashes of your favourite bitters
- Nothing oozes simplicity and comfort like a serving of Japanese Smooth Whisky Old Fashioned.
- To prepare, add ice to a tall glass, pour in the whisky and honey and stir for 10-15 seconds to chill – garnish with orange peel to top it all off with a zesty punch of fun.