Roasted Jackfruit: A Wholesome One-Pot Meal
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 16, 2022 08:09 IST
You can easily make this dish at home
Tired of eating the same old dishes? Sometimes, a little inspiration with a not-so popular element is all it takes to stoke a little artistry in the kitchen. And Jackfruit is one such veggie. So, instead of giving into your temptation, though, make a crafts night at home instead of ordering a fatty pie from a fast food restaurant. Create your own Roasted and baked Jackfruit meal.
This roasted jackfruit delicacy provides vegetarians over the holidays with a festive, simple, and fairly traditional option. Sizable, hearty, and seasoned chunks of jackfruit are covered in a caramelised onion, garlicky, and peppery sauce, poured over some seasonal veggies and then baked. Additionally, this jackfruit dish is healthy because it also contains a lot of delicious roasted vegetables. The delish is extremely tasty, filling, and reasonably priced. It's a one-pot, fast and easy, and enjoyable meal that just requires basic ingredients, yet it tastes amazing! This vegan pot roast is incredibly easy to cook and comes together without any fuss.
The tropical fruit known as jackfruit is technically called Artocarpus heterophyllus. The biggest tree fruit in the world is a member of the mulberry family . Jackfruit is renowned for its dinosaur-egg appearance and peculiar-smelling. In India, jackfruit is regarded as a ‘fruit of the poor’. The biggest advantage of the jackfruit is its versatility. When used in recipes, jackfruit performs a fantastic job of imitating meat, particularly chicken, hog, and beef. When young, raw, or semi-ripe, it is consumed as a vegetable, and when mature, as a fruit. Jackfruit is used in dishes including biryani, dry stir-fries, and curries and stews. It is pickled, dried and fried into chips, and deep-fried into koftas and fritters.
Here’s the recipe for Roasted Jackfruit.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 2 small white onion (diced into 2-inch chunks)
• 8 garlic cloves (minced)
• 4 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
• 2 cups dry red wine
• 2 tsp dried thyme
• 2 tsp dried rosemary
• 2 tsp fine sea salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 4 cup of veggie broth
• 4 tbsp cornstarch
• 2 pound of red potatoes (chopped)
• 2 pound baby carrots
• 36 ounce tender jackfruit
• Set the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet.
• Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
• Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
• Add the jackfruit and cook for one more minute on medium heat.
• Now, add red wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir and slowly bring to boil while stirring.
• Combine broth and cornstarch together in a bowl.
• Then, add it to the skillet with the jackfruit.
• Stirring often, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
• The chopped carrots and potatoes go straight into the baking dish.
• Spread the jackfruit gravy mixture on top of the veggies.
• Bake for 40 minutes or till the veggies and jackfruit turn tender.
• Let cool and place the jackfruit in the centre of the vegetables on a serving platter.
• Drizzle the leftover sauce on top or on the sides.
• Serve hot.