Rice Flour Appam: The Instant Breakfast Recipe To Kickstart Your Day With
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 12, 2022 03:09 IST
This South Indian Healthy Breakfast Recipe Is Quick To Make
South Indian dishes are the most favourable option for breakfasts as they are light for the stomach and cooked in minimum oil making them a healthier option to be consumed. Name any South Indian breakfast dish and the love for it would be visible all over. Idlis, dosas, vadas, appams, uthappams, these all are loved not only in South but all over the country. Many households prefer these south indian recipes for breakfast because they are a healthy option.
Though the preparation for South Indian dishes are a bit tough and require proper fermentation, this appam recipe shared here is instant and easy to make. Served along with chutneys either coconut or tomato and red chillies, this dish is a perfect fit for breakfast, lunch boxes and are convenient to carry while travelling.
These round shaped balls made of rice flour are super easy to make and carry a lot of nutrients because of the colourful vegetables used in it. The vegetables used are capsicum, beans, carrot, peas, tomato, onion and any other green vegetables of choice. These vibrant coloured vegetables make the dish appealing and the chutneys served along make it appetising. These round rice flour balls are made in an appam maker which gives them a beautiful shape and is convenient to eat. When dipped in coconut chutney, the appams taste delicious.
- 1½ cup Rice Flour
- ½ cup Rava / Suji / Semolina (coarse)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Curd
- Water (for batter)
- ½ Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot (grated)
- 2 Chilli (finely chopped)
- few Curry Leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Eno Fruit Salt
- Oil (for roasting)
Method Of Preparation:
- Firstly, in a large bowl take 1½ cup rice flour, ½ cup rava and ½ tsp salt
- Add ¾ cup curd and mix well
- Now add water as required and prepare a smooth lump-free batter
- Rest the batter for 10 minutes, allowing it to soak well
- Further add ½ onion, 1 carrot, 2 chilli, few curry leaves and 2 tbsp coriander
- Mix well making sure everything is well combined
- Just before preparing appe, add ½ tsp eno fruit salt and mix forming a frothy batter. you can alternatively use baking soda
- Heat and grease the appe pan with oil
- Now pour the batter into moulds. make sure to add a little oil in each mould to get a crispy appe
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the appe is cooked well
- Further, flip gently and cook both sides
- Finally, enjoy rice appe with spicy coconut chutney
These small, round appams are perfect to be served on a breakfast table and are loved by all from kids to adults. This is best suited for office going people as this is easy and quick to make and can be carried along in tiffin boxes.