Relish Some Shami Kebab This Ramzan By Chef Megha Kohli
- Ayandrali Dutta
Updated : April 28, 2022 12:04 IST
These kebabs were created by a chef for a Nawab (nobleman) whoo had lost all his teeth.
Come Ramzan, the month of fasting and feasting, each Muslim household sees an array food items that they savour during Iftari (the breaking of evening fast). There’s a reason why the fast is kept during Ramzan. Keeping of the fast during Ramadan teaches one and all to respect food. Going through the hardships of not eating through the day during summer is quiet a task. During evening they break the fast with their family with a collection of dishes like Sharbat, kebabs, pakoda, biryani, meethe chawal, sweets, fruits and more.
On the list of Kebabs, Shami Kebabs is an all time favourite. These smooth patties of well- grounded mutton mixed with some split pea lentil and some whole garam masala and blending them all of them with some fresh herbs gives it the perfect desired texture. Talking about the origin of these kebabs the story goes is by a chef who served the Nawab (nobleman). And as the Nawab had lost all his teeth the kebabs had to be soft and delicate. So the chef created something so that Nawab could eat the meat yet not have to chew it too. And hence the Shami Kebab was created.
Chef Megha Kohli took to Instagram and wrote “in my festive series is Shami Kebab. You can make this with Mutton or chicken mince, but Mutton mince works best. You can also freeze the kebabs for upto 3 months in the freezer and use as and when desired. These are my Dadajis favorite kebabs as they are super soft and flavorful”.
I hope you enjoy making these at home. ♥️
For the kebab-:
• Mutton mince : 500 gm
• Channa dal : 1 cup
• Potato : 1.5 (peeled and cut into 4)
• Onion : 2 (each cut into 4)
• Whole red chillies : 6
• Green chillies : 2
• Ginger : 1" pc
• Garlic : 6 cloves
• Black cardammom : 2 pc
• Cloves : 4 pc
• Egg : 1
• Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
• Peppercorns : 15 pc
• Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
• Salt : to taste
For the filing -:
• 2 finely chopped onions
• 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
• 2 green chillies finely chopped
• 1 tbsp chopped mint
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• Salt to taste
• Boil the mince with a cup of water with all the ingredients for the mixture except the egg and Garam masala.
• Once the mince is fully cooked, add the Garam Masala and mix
• Let it cool and then dry grind it in a mixi.
• Now add the raw egg and mix well.
• Mix all the ingredients of the filing in a seperate bowl.
• 5.Make small flat round cakes by rolling the meat mixture in your palms and put a little stuffing in the center.
• Keep these kebabs in the fridge for 10 minutes so that they set well.
• Keep the flame low and shallow fry the kebab lightly on both sides till a golden crust appears.
• Serve hot with chutney, lemon wedges and sliced onions.
• If your mixture turns out too wet, then add 1 tbsp of Besan.
• If you plan to freeze the kebabs and keep them for a while don't add onion in the filling.