Recipes for Singles: Easy Slow, Rice Cooker and One Pot Meals
- Slurrp Editorial
Updated : November 02, 2022 05:11 IST
Assemble your dish, take a chill pill and let all the flavours combine and cook everything from mains to desserts with no hassle.
If you love meals, you can automatically set and forget, then you must be a fan of slow cookers, rice cookers and one-pot meals. They help prepare dishes that are big on flavour and oh-so-convenient to cook. They’re just perfect for single people who stay away from home but want to have nutritious and healthy meals daily. Cook everything from mains to desserts where all you have to do is assemble your dish, take a chill pill and let all the flavours combine.
Some of us don’t like a heated-up kitchen or loads of pots and pans to clean up after cooking. So, one-pot meals are the answers to our prayers. The best part of a one-pot meal is that you can start cooking with just 3-5 ingredients to reduce stress and simplify the cooking process. Whip up a chicken stew or a delicious vegetable pilau in quick time.
You May Also Like
Slow cooker recipes can be modified to suit your tastebuds, and you can always alter the quantity or type of vegetables, meats, and the amounts you’re cooking. But you will need to pay more attention to layering instructions for vegetables and cook them slowly while placing them at the bottom of the slow cooker.
From cooking Chicken Tikka to biryani, the rice cooker is one versatile cooking aid that suits all - singles, families, and everyone else in between. It works on electricity and can be used for steaming, boiling, and stewing food. It’s easy-breezy to use this gadget and it not only cooks your food but keeps it warm in case you want to have it late. The food cooked is hygienic and saves time as well as effort.
Here are 3 Indian recipes that are good for the body, mind, and soul:
1. One-Pot Chicken Biryani- Total Time:40 mins
The one-pot chicken biryani is based on the classic Indian biryani and is made from basmati rice, whole spices, caramelized onions, and chicken marinated in yogurt.
- 1 cup (200 g) Basmati rice
- 4 Chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 large onions diced
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger and garlic
- 1 tablespoon of red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of pepper powder
- 1 cup (120 ml) of yogurt
- ½ cup chopped Cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) Chicken stock (or water)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
Don’t allow your screen to go dark
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes and keep aside.
- Add the oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the whole spices and saute for 1-2 minutes on low heat.
- Add the chopped onions and saute on medium heat till it turns soft and translucent. Lower the heat and cook till light brown.
- Next add in the grated ginger,minced garlic and fry for 1 minute. Add the spice powders and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and fry for 5 minutes and then add the salt and pepper and cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the yogurt, mint leaves, and lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the rice and stir it all together. Pour in the water.
- Let it come to a boil and then reduce the heat to let it simmer on low heat and cover the pot.
- Cook for 20 minutes and then turn the heat off and let it rest for 10 minutes covered.
- Now add the chopped cilantro on top of the Chicken Biryani as a garnish before serving.
There you have it - your very own home-made chicken biryani.
2. Rice Cooker: Chinese Fried Rice
This no-fuss rice cooker recipe made with a few ingredients is going to be your favourite. With less than 5 minutes of prep, customizable with ingredients of your choice, it’s healthy, tasty, and filling. You are going to make this one frequently.
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup carrots cut finely in small pieces
- 1 cup boiled chicken cut into tiny bits
- 1 cup onions sliced finely
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of green chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and keep the rice aside.
- Put the rice into the rice cooker.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the rice cooker.
- Add the sauces and oil.
- Add a cup of water and close the lid.
- You must select “white rice” option and let it cook for 45- 60 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, lift the lid and gently mix it all together.
- Add the salt to taste and enjoy!
We promise you’ll be bragging about this dish to everyone!