Pizza Dosa: A Fusion Recipe That Will Blow Your Mind
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 16, 2022 06:06 IST
Combining the immense love for dosa and pizza in one, this pizza dosa gives you the best of both worlds.
Every time one searches through the Internet for some food trends, there is something bizarre that pops up on the screen and leaves us in shock. It is quite commendable that a lot of us have survived the phase of fanta maggis and oreo pakodas. However, the point that most experimenters miss here is the fact that a fusion recipe cannot be anything and everything. The flavours and the tastes should match in some way and fit the bill to become a delicious recipe. Just like this pizza dosa. Isn’t it interesting? The goodness of a cheesy pizza on a batter of dosa brings the two popular dishes from South India and Italy on one plate. This desi-videshi combination will marvel you with its taste and sumptuous flavours.
Tracing the origins of these two pole apart dishes from two different cuisines of the world tells us that pizza was invented in the city of Naples. It is believed that pizza was originally served as flatbread with toppings in ancient Rome and Egypt. This idea of bread with toppings which is similar to focaccia bread of today, gave way to the first ever pizza on the streets of Italy. The latter of the fusion dish, i.e. dosa is a known to have existed since a long time. The historian accounts highlight that a crepe was served around temples in Udipi, Karnataka since 5th century A.D.
The creators of these two iconic dishes would have never imagined that they’d be combined together one day. However, food blogger, @theunoplate has made it possible by sharing a delectable pizza dosa recipe. Here’s how you can make it at home too.
- Dosa Batter
- Pizza Sauce
- Chilli Flakes
- Grated Cheese
- Chopped Bell peppers (green and yellow)
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped onions
- Boiled Sweet Corn
- Prepare a thick batter of dosa by combining rice flour with water. Let the batter ferment for a few hours before you begin cooking.
- Take a non-stick pan and pour the batter on it in a circular shape.
- Spread it evenly, especially from the centre so that the middle part isn’t too thick.
- Spread some butter on the dosa to make it soft and smooth.
- Then, spread some pizza sauce on it.
- Now, throw in your chopped vegetables like bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and sweet corn.
- Sprinkle some oregano and chilli flakes on it. You can also add some jalapenos for a tangy flavour.
- Garnish with loads of grated cheese and let the pizza dosa cook for 5 minutes with the lid covered.
- Take it out on a plate and slice the pizza dosa into smaller pieces.
- Serve hot with some tomato ketchup.