Peanut Butter And Jelly Day: Making Delicious Sandwich From Scratch
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : April 02, 2022 13:04 IST
Celebrating the most significant innovation in time – Peanut Butter and Jelly!
With the shrinking world, we all are imbibed in the culture of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Peanut butter has become a secondary staple in all modern homes. I remember as a child, and we got jars of chunky peanut butter and grape jelly as a gift from my aunt who was visiting from the US. She told us that it was the breakfast of champions. I remember badgering my mom to make PB&J sandwiches every morning. It was such a different flavour from my regular bread butter and jam.
Mr John Harvey Kellogg first created peanut butter in 1895 in the USA. It was made to provide complete nutrition for seniors who had issues with chewing food. But it took several more years to get the respect and fame it deserves because it took a long time for people to realize that having peanut butter is an excellent source of nutrition without cooking.
What is peanut butter?
Peanut butter is a non-dairy form of butter that comes from the oils in peanuts. That’s it. There is no rocket science in it. It is simple and yet delicious. It can be had as a spread on almost any kind of bread. Several publications have stated that Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is a complete meal with all the nutrients needed by a healthy athlete to give a jump start. If peanut butter is made without those additives found in packaged jars, it's pure energy and nutrition for you and your kids. The same goes for the jelly.
Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwich By Home Chef Puja Mukherjee
Now on this Peanut butter and Jelly Day, Home Chef share the recipe to make delicious peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches from scratch.
- Take 2 cups of peanuts, and roast them on a slow flame or in the oven. If they are not peeled, rub them together to remove the peels.
- Add them to a blender jar, give it a whiz and see it get powdered. Continue pulsing them, and after 1 min, add 1 tsp of olive oil or Ghee and ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp jaggery.
- Keep blending till you see a smooth thick paste. Then, take it out in an airtight jar.
- You can store this for a week in the refrigerator. After that, you can make the sugar free version by adding stevia instead of sugar.
Jelly is a little complicated, so don't bother. Get your favourite fruit jelly, grape, cranberry, apple, strawberry or whatever you like. Do check for the additives and buy organic preserves. You can get sugar-free jelly these days for those who worry about their sugar intake. So now is the time to raise the curtain. Take fresh soft sliced bread. (Again, here is your own choice; you can use multigrain, white, sourdough or gluten-free)
- On one slice, smear peanut butter generously, the one you made – Take a bow. Don’t forget to lick the butter knife.
- Now coat the other slice with jelly, again well. Put them together, pat the sandwich so that everything stays together.
- Cut it into shapes you want or remove the crust or grill them.
- But take a moment to honour this incredible piece of creativity and relish every small bite.
What a finish! Happy Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!