Mexican Rice: Easy One Pot Meal
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 20, 2022 15:09 IST
This rice recipe from mexico is full of flavours and could easily be cooked in a single pot
Rice is the staple food in the majority of countries and therefore you will find a variety of rice recipes with different preparations and different tastes. Varying from khichdi, pulao to masala rice, rice recipes are easy and convenient to make. All these can be cooked in not much time and require no big efforts.
The recipe shared here is easy to make, packed with super nutrients and can be cooked in a pot making it a one pot meal. Mexican Rice has a bit of chinese flavour and is so colourful and vibrant in appeal. The rice is cooked with many vegetables like bell peppers, capsicum, peas, corn, rajma and few such nutritious ingredients. The flavour is a bit sweet-tangy because of the tomato ketchup and spices used.
Mexican rice, also known as arroz a la mexicana, arroz mexicano, or arroz rojo in Spanish, is a Mexican side dish made from white rice, tomato, garlic, onion, and sometimes other ingredients. It is also sometimes referred to as Spanish rice or red rice in Tex-Mex cuisine. Almost always, when eaten with other meals like mole, refried beans, rotisserie chicken, carne asada, picadillo, tacos, fried fish, fried chicken, chiles rellenos, or vegetable soup, Mexican rice serves as a complement.
In central and northern Mexico as well as the southwestern United States, Mexican-style rice is extremely well-liked. It is one of the most widely used recipes in Mexican cuisine and is consumed all year long.
- 1.5 cups Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Garlic
- 1 Onion
- Red, yellow and Green Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2-1 cup Tomato Puree
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1-2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1/2 cup boiled Kidney Beans/Rajma
- Spring Onions
- Fresh Coriander
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, let it turn golden brown and then add onions
- Once the onion turn translucent, add soaked basmati rice
- Saute the rice with the onions for a minute or two
- Now add bell peppers, green peas and two tablespoon of tomato ketchup, give it a good mix
- Add salt along with the spices (black pepper, red chilli, cumin powder, chilli flakes and oregano) and half a tablespoon of tomato ketchup and mix well gently
- Now add water to the pan and let it cook for few minutes on medium flame
- Once the water is reduced to half in the pot, add boiled corn and soaked black beans, mix well and cover the lid of the pot
- Cook the rice for next 6 minutes on medium to low flame while the pot is covered
- After 6-7 minutes, the Mexican rice is ready to be served
This one pot meal is easy, convenient and delicious. It could be served for both lunch or dinner on the dining table and is a super nutritious meal.