Make the most of your afternoon with healthy snacking between 4-6 pm. Nourish your body with nutritious options like protein-rich snacks, fiber-packed fruits, or wholesome chilla to keep you energized and satisfied.
A snack between lunch and dinner, particularly between 4 and 6 p.m., can help you feel fuller for longer and keep your energy up. Selecting healthy snacks that offer a mix of carbs, protein, and healthy fats can help you feel full longer and give you more energy. Instead of snacking on processed meals, go for whole foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, yoghurt, and popcorn or crackers made from whole grains. Snacking on sugary and processed foods can lead to low energy and high blood sugar, so it's best to stay away from them. Selecting nutritious snacks at this time will help you feel full between meals and keep your energy levels consistent all day. Here are some tips for healthy snacking between 4 to 6 pm.
Protein rich sprouts: Healthy and filling snack options include protein-rich sprouts like mung bean, chickpea, or lentil sprouts. They're a great way to get some protein from plants while also getting a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals, and fibre. They're great on their own, but they also provide protein and crunch to salads, wraps, and other foods.
Fiber-rich makhana: Makhana, often called fox nuts or lotus seeds, is a high-fiber food that can be eaten as a delicious midafternoon snack. They are a nutritious option for controlling appetite because they are low in calories, high in fibre, and full of antioxidants. As a tasty and crispy snack that can help you maintain your healthful lifestyle, try roasting them with some ghee or seasoning them with spices.
Curd with chia seeds: Indulge in a digestive-friendly snack of curd, chia seeds, and mango between 4 and 6 o'clock in the afternoon. Curd's probiotics aid digestion, while chia seeds add healthy fibre. Mango chunks add sweetness and nutrition for a snack that's good for your body and your taste buds.
Protein-rich chana peanut mixture: Enjoy a protein-rich snack between 4 to 6 pm with a tasty chana peanut mixture. Roasted chana and peanuts provide a satisfying crunch, while offering a good amount of protein and fiber. Season with your favorite spices for added flavor and enjoy this nutritious and filling snack during your evening hours.
Fruits with a sprinkle of seeds: Try munching on some fresh fruit with a sprinkling of seeds on top to satisfy your sweet tooth without sacrificing your health. Between 4 and 6 o'clock, indulge in a tasty and guilt-free snack of fruits, nuts, and seeds, all of which complement each other in flavour and nutrients.
Ragi Chilla: Plan your snack meal like ragi chilla, a delicious and healthy snack that is perfect for eating between 4 and 6 in the afternoon. These savoury pancakes, made with nutrient-dense ragi flour, are a delicious and wholesome way to fulfil your late-night snack desires. The goodness of the ragi will shine through in every bite, especially if you serve them with chutney or curd.
Nutrition & Wellness Consultant, Neha Sahaya shares on her Instagram, Eating healthy snacks between 4-6 pm can be beneficial for several reasons:
1. Sustaining energy levels: Many people experience a natural dip in energy during the late afternoon, commonly known as the "afternoon slump." Consuming a healthy snack during this time can help replenish energy levels and provide a sustained source of fuel for the rest of the day.
2. Preventing overeating at dinner: If you eat an early dinner or have a long gap between lunch and dinner, having a healthy snack between 4 to 6 pm can help curb excessive hunger. This can prevent overeating during dinner and promote portion control.
3. Enhancing focus and productivity: Eating a healthy snack during the late afternoon can help improve focus, concentration, and overall productivity, particularly for individuals who have mentally demanding tasks or need to stay alert.
4. Balancing blood sugar levels: Choosing the right snack and maintaining blood sugar levels is important for preventing sudden spikes and drops in blood sugar which creates more carbohydrate craving.
5. Meeting nutritional needs: Incorporating healthy snacks into your daily routine ensures you have an opportunity to consume additional nutrients that may be lacking in your main meals.