Make Delicious Homemade Chocolate With Cocoa Butter At Home
- Yash Lakhan
Updated : August 23, 2022 15:08 IST
Learn how to make handmade chocolate using only three ingredients: cocoa butter, cocoa powder, and a sweetener of your choice.
Learn how to make handmade chocolate using only three ingredients: cocoa butter, cocoa powder, and a sweetener of your choice. By using the appropriate sweetener, you can simply make this chocolate vegan, low carb, and paleo.
Cocoa butter is a type of edible fat derived from cacao beans. It has a naturally chocolatey aroma and flavour, making it an ideal ingredient for homemade chocolate. Despite its name, cocoa butter is naturally dairy-free/vegan, so don't be alarmed by the word "butter." It's usually offered in solid, block-like form, which you'll need to cut up in order to melt.
Difference Between Cocoa And Cacao
Cocoa and cacao are so similar in name, appearance, and product that they are readily confused. That being said, there is one essential distinction to be aware of in order to keep it all straight.
Cacao is the name of the plant/seeds as well as the minimally processed goods made from it. Cocoa, on the other hand, refers to all processed items in high temperatures derived from cacao plants. Cacao products are higher in antioxidants and nutritional content because they are less processed and bitter. Cocoa goods, on the other hand, are more processed and sweet, with fewer antioxidants and nutritional value.
The type of cocoa/cacao you use in this recipe is entirely up to you and your preferences. If you want to produce raw chocolate with a few added health benefits, use cacao products. If you prefer your chocolate to be a little sweeter, use cocoa/Dutch processed chocolate. They'll all be working here.
Types Of Sweetener
If you want, you can use more natural sweeteners such as maple syrup or honey, low carb/keto sweeteners such as stevia or erythritol, or even plain white caster sugar or powdered icing sugar.
• 1 cup | 230 g cocoa butter
• 1 cup | 118 g unsweetened cocoa powder
• 80g - 160g maple syrup
• Pinch of salt
1. Chop the cocoa butter and melt it. Melt it directly in a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave. Remove the cocoa butter from the fire once it has melted. To produce raw chocolate, slowly melt the cocoa butter in a water bath.
2. Once the cocoa butter has completely melted, whisk in the chocolate powder, sweetener, sea salt, and any other flavours you wish to add.
3. Whisk everything until there are no more cocoa powder lumps and the honey has dissolved into the chocolate mixture.
4. Place the chocolate in silicone moulds or lined muffin cups and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. When the chocolate has hardened completely, remove it from the moulds and serve.
5. Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.