Mahogany Cake: An Underrated Crown Of Its World
- Tanisha Salwan
Updated : August 26, 2022 11:08 IST
Do you know about the ancestor of our today's favourite red velvet cake?
Cakes have become an essential part of every occasion these days. Cutting cakes which was actually a birthday thing has turned into a compulsory event that has to be on every single occasion. And even if it is not an occasion, cakes are something that brings a sense of happiness to us. Right? In a time where a single scroll can give us a bombastic array of gorgeously delicious dessert photos, it is quite reasonable that we know everything about the world of cake. Let us look back and know a little history about cakes.
Let us dig back into the history and try to unearth some unforgotten gems. As we told, cakes are capable enough of being a part of personal moments and my love for cake has remained constant for many years. Cakes are said to be the icon of American culture. Be it of any flavour, cakes hold a special plate in the American palate because it is celebratory.
Let us take you through an old-fashioned yet underrated cake i.e. Mahogany cake. It is an incredibly delicious cake made up of cocoa and coffee in the batter. It is not much of a rich chocolate cake, but with very mild flavors of chocolate and coffee, it has a special place in the hearts of many people. Mahogany cake dates back to the 1800s in America as per Anne Byrn’s book American Cake. It is the first ‘chocolate cake’ of America on record, appearing in cookbook Sarah Tyson Rorer’s The Philadelphia Cookbook which was published in 1886. It is also reported that Mahogany cake is a much-looked-forward to study in the subject of baking chemistry and the experimentation of the ingredients that created not only a lofty rise but also a phenomenal texture and a beautiful colour. We could also say that Mahogany cake was the gateway to the red velvet cake that we all love today!! Amazing, isn't it?
We know you are craving these delights right now. Let us tell you how to make this most old-school, delicious, and underrated cake at home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Take a bowl and add sugar and butter. Beat them well until you see a smooth mixture.
- Add eggs and keep beating the mixture.
- Now add coffee and cocoa and blend together very well.
- While keeping 1 tsp buttermilk aside, add the rest to the mixture and beat until smooth.
- Sift flour and baking soda and beat the batter.
- Now add the batter into the cake mould.
- Bake in an oven preheated at 175 degrees celsius for 30 minutes or till it is done.
- When done, take it out from the oven and let it cool.
- Cut the cake into three layers.
- Take a bowl and add butter for the frosting.
- Beat it until completely smooth and gradually sift the sugar.
- Add in coffee, cocoa, and vanilla and blend properly.
- Place the cake on the serving plate and spread top with about ¼ frosting.
- Now place the second later and frost.
- Repeat with the third layer and use the remaining frosting for the top and sides.
Without any further delay, make this mahogany cake and taste the best thing you can!!